Chapter Five

A long time ago. Philippians' POV 

(Sorry. It's short)

     He's gone. He's finally gone. I collapsed onto the ground out of shock. My head swelled with emotions. Sadness, anger, worry, relief, pride and pure child-like joy. Warm, joyful tears flowed down my face. "Hey. Are you okay!?" I heard a voice say. I turned my head up. In front of me stood a small girl. She had warm brown eyes and long, silky, black hair. She wore a button up shirt with puffed and a knee long skirt. She was obviously part of another nation or had been a colony, because she didn't look european but wore their clothes. But something about her was different. Whoever she belonged to didn't extinguish her culture. She wore tropical flowers in her hair and wooden beads hung from her neck and wrists. Her face, behind the worry she had for him, had the lines of someone who smiled. He longed for what she had.

     Suddenly someone grabbed her around the waist and lifted her up. I panicked for the minuet. I couldn't let someone hurt her and take away her happiness. The figure placed her on their shoulders, letting her legs dangle. "Dad!" She exclaimed happily and wrapped her arms around the man's head. The man started to walk closer and I started to scoot backwards. The girl smiled at me. "Don't be afraid. We won't hurt you!" The man's face came into view. He had red and white stripes across his head and a blue patch on his left eye.

     "Hello." He smiled and bent down. "What's your name?" he asked. "Philippines." I can't let him think I'm weak. "I'm not here to cause you harm." the man said. "I won't let that mean man ever hurt you again." I felt my face change. "Y-you chased him a-away." I asked as I started crying. "Yes." he replied simply. I jumped up and wrapped my arms around his waist. "Thank you." I sobbed. He patted my back in comfort.

     After a couple minutes of sobbing I calmed down and released him. I took a step back and looked up at him, the girl still sitting on his shoulders. The man held his hand out to me and I took it. We started to walk into the distance, and I was entering a new chapter of my life.

     The girl looked down at me. "Hey Philippines." I looked up at her, signaling for her to continue. "My name's Hawaii."