Chapter Twenty One (Forgive and Forget)

Previously on 'I Can Manage'

"I'm sorry... I'll just... go."

I stilled for a moment before pushing out of the pile.

"Wait!"

Nobody's POV

     "Wait!" Hawaii called after her brother. She was completely pissed at him, but she wanted to talk. She wanted him to say he didn't mean the insults he said all those years ago. She was hurt, but willing to forgive. So she told him to stop, and ventured deeper into the rabbit hole.

     Philip stopped at the door and turned around, a small smile on his face. "May... may I come in?" He said meekly. "Yes." Hawaii said warily. It seemed as if the two, who had been so close at one point, were total strangers. The two sat on opposite sides of the window seat for a while. Hawaii stared out the window at the back garden. Philippines stared at his hands, which were folded in his lap.

     "Let's go." Hawaii stated grabbing Philip's hand and dragging him out the door. She took him down the back staircase to avoid her siblings, and out the back door. Philip remembered the countless days he had spent, just rolling in the grass. Memories, once lost, were finding their way back home. She led him through the back yard, and into the thick garden. The American estate was impossibly large. The actual mansion was gigantic, built with four wings and the main section in the center. From the mansion, acres of winding gardens covered the property. The backyard had a massive pool and patio/ grill area. They had a separate section for the animals they owned. A large stable for the horses, a shelter for all the other pets and a large fenced in area. The rest of the land, 40 more acres, contained farmland and wild, thick forests. Philip spent years here, but he never finished exploring the land.

     They wound through the garden and eventually turned into a clearing. The clearing had a small orchard of trees, only about 10 of them scattered around the clearing. Honeysuckle vine climbed a fence-like walls on the edges of the clearing and roses bushes were scattered around the clearing. Each tree was different, there was a flowering-dogwood, a Weeping Willow, and a Cherryblossom tree. And in the center was the tall Magnolia tree.

Philippines' POV

     I took in the sight of the Magnolia. I vividly remember its beauty. How it stretched over my head and shaded the summer sun. Sadly it seemed as of the life had been sucked from the tree. The thick leaves had all shriveled up and died. The crisp, white blossoms had all fall and were scattered on the ground, blown and whitered. My favorite tree in the garden had died.

     "Dad couldn't get rid of it. It was your favorite tree on the whole estate... To him... you weren't really gone... but... To him you were." Hawaii spoke sadly. "Your past creates your future, your past defines who you are. You forgot about us, and when you lost those memories you lost a part of yourself. That part of you withered and died, just like the magnolia."

     I was silent for a moment. "You're absolutely right..." I said chuckling sadly. "That part of me died... but he has been resurrected.... Hawaii... I remember everything about our past, about the days we used to spend together, about the happiness here." I knelt down to be level with her face. "I never meant to hurt you, and I take back everything I said. You were never a demon, you are one of my best friends and one of the strongest people I know." Philip looked into her deep, chocolate eyes, asking for forgiveness. "I already know that. I know that you didn't mean it. I know that you wouldn't feel that way... but your words twisted my insides." She explained. "I know you were scared, but what you said hurt me. I can't forget what happened." Tears started to well in her eyes. "Can you forgive?" I asked. A small smile spread across her face, and she hesetated for a few moments. "I can try... I don't want our friendship to whiter like the tree." I wrapped her into a hug. "So let it rain." I replied.

     Thick, flowing tears ran down our faces. But, every drop was filled with joy. Pure joy. And as our tears hit the group, the Magnolia breathed in. Leaves started to grow rapidly, and life returned to it. In the middle of the tree, one blossom bloomed. Reaching towards the sun, glowing a bright white.

     We stared at the beautiful tree for a moment. Then Hawaii laughed her hearty laugh and dragged me to the base of the tree. Hand in hand, we sat under the branches and fell asleep under the warm, spring sun.