A Little Help Goes a Long Way

By starsnspace

Tony Stark wasn’t above using his name, money, or influence to get what he wanted. And, truth be told, there wasn’t much that he really, truly wanted. In fact, what he wanted, he could count on one hand. One: make Pepper happy. Two: keep Rhodey safe. Three: look out for Happy. Four: protect Earth. And recently, five: do not let Peter Parker suffer anything.

Simple. Easy. And at this point in time, there was only one thing on his short list of desires that needed to be fulfilled. Peter had walked into the lab one day a little less bright than normal, and Tony being the ever so caring mentor he was, immediately began digging.

“Kid, you’ve barely said a word this entire day and you’re only this quiet when you’re gravely injured- which you better not be otherwise FRIDAY or KAREN would have altered me- or there’s something else wrong. Spill,” Tony spoke, startling the teen from his thoughts.

“I-It’s nothing, Mr. Stark,” Peter replied, stuttering with surprise at Tony’s quick deduction.

Tony turned around in his chair, wheeling it so that he was opposite Peter at the teen’s lab table and narrowed his eyes. “Yeah, sure, I totally believe that. Is it May? Ted? Have a test in chemistry that you’re nervous for? Which, by the way, you shouldn’t be because after me and Bruce you have the most-“

“No!” Peter exclaimed, eyes wide and almost frantic in his attempts to stop Tony from worrying. “No, Mr. Stark, May’s fine, Ned’s great, and I actually just got my test back today, I got a perfect!”

“Then what’s the matter? Listen, I know I’m not great with all the emotions and the expressing myself shit- stuff I mean stuff- but I’m trying to break that and be a better person ang a good mentor to you. But you gotta meet me halfway, kid, please?”

Peter sighed and looked back down at his project. He fiddled with the pen in his hands, twisting it so viciously that Tony was surprised that it didn’t snap in two because of the kid’s super strength. Tony stared, waiting, almost praying that he wouldn’t have to break out the big emotion guns, when Peter finally broke.

“So, normally it doesn’t get to me. And I’m used to it, so I don’t know why today was so hard. That’s a lie I do know. In a week it’ll be the anniversary of Ben’s death and it’s been hard and May’s been working overtime because that helps her not focus on it and I don’t want to bother her with my little issues. But, anyway, today Flash was annoyed that I got the only perfect on the chemistry test, so he stole my tablet that you gave me and dropped it in the pool and it had all my notes on it for Spider-Man stuff and lab work and then he started going off about how I must’ve had to beg on my knees to even step foot in the Tower and how I’m good for one thing and one thing only and that’s for rich guys to use and, and-“ Peter stopped suddenly, and looked up at Tony with tears in his eyes. “I know that none of it’s true, and I know Flash is just jealous, but sometimes it just hurts to be seen like that.”

Tony had grown more and more tense as Peter talked. When he said “on my knees” his vision went red, and as soon as Peter left today, Tony was going to dig up this punk’s dirty secrets. But first, he had to deal with the hurt teenager in front of him.

“Listen, Peter, what this kid Flash says is obviously not true. And whoever believes it, well, they’re just sheep who can’t think for themselves. You’re a hundred times the man that Flash will ever be, and you’ve got more brains in your pinky than he has in his whole body. And I know it hurts, of course it does, it’s cruel and it’s evil and it’s painful, and you’re allowed to feel that pain. But don’t let what one kid says about you influence your life. You are so much more than that, Pete, and you have people in your corner.”