Chapter 2

The footsteps had the pace of a walking dead man in one of those zombie movies. Either that or time had slowed to one terrifying movie scene, just before an actor gets his throat slashed. Macey's heart raced as she waited for the footsteps' owner to appear, but as the steps drew closer and louder, the corridor remained vacant. Jared's breaths were fast, his hands sweaty as he clasped Macey's, a moment of terror captivated mother and son. They wanted to learn the identity of the person creeping upon them, but neither was guaranteed safety. 

Macey shoved her child behind her own trembling body, ready to defend him despite her fear. "Who's there?" Macey said and waited for a response. When none came, she raised her voice, "Who are you?" she said, eyeing the front door and back at the eerie hall.  Be brave, Macey told herself and positioned Jared on her left, aimed at the door. "Jared," she whispered.

"I know, Mom."

"On three, OK?"

"Yes," Jared let go of her hand and readied himself.

Macey took a breath, "One," she said, confident they'd make it out the front door to safety. 

"Ma'am." Daniel appeared from their left. He must have entered the foyer from the dining room without Macey or Jared noticing.

Macey darted her eyes back and forth from the hall to Daniel. 

Daniel cleared his throat, "Shall I assist you with something?" Daniel said. His stoic demeanor was off, considering he was looking at two terrified people. 

Macey held onto Jared, still thinking about a mad dash to the front door. Then she heard the click as a door closed where the family tree resides. "Did you hear that?" she said, shifting her sights between Daniel and the hall. Someone or something was on the verge of attack. At least that's what Macey's senses were telling her as she zeroed in on the exit. 

"Yes, Ma'am. This old house has many strange sounds. However, I can assure you there are no intruders," Daniel said. 

Macey eyed Daniel's black 1960 tweed jacket. He wore the same one ten years earlier, and she wondered if he were a ghost of the man known as the butler. However, those thoughts were silly because she'd see through a spirit, she prayed. 

Little Jared gazed up at his mother, looking relieved, "That's what it is, Mom. Just an old house, might be animals running around."

Macey ran her hand through her son's hair. It was just like him to use reason for such things; again, he is his father's son. 

"I will light the passageways," Daniel said.

"Passageways?" Macey kept a firm grip on Jared. Daniel made it sound like hidden tunnels were under the house lined with old-fashioned lanterns he'd light with a torch. 

"The hallways, ma'am, until you get used to the noises," Daniel stepped toward them, but to walk past them. 

Macey flinched. But, it failed to hinder Daniel. He continued toward the dark hall and flipped the light switch. The corridor lit up like day. He faced Macey, "May I assist you further, ma'am?" The butler stared at her with suspicion in his eyes, waiting for her response. 

Daniel's unruffled approach convinced Macey he completed the task of calming uneasy visitors many times in the past. "No, thank you," was all she could muster. The last thing she needed was to reveal fear to her new staff and appear like a weakling. It will hamper her efforts to maintain control of her surroundings and herself.  "Come on, Jared, let's go upstairs." 

Macey marched toward the massive staircase pulling Jared along, and kept her eye on Daniel at the same time.  Something wasn't right about Daniel, though she couldn't pinpoint what troubled her about the butler. "Let's go and see your room," she said to Jared, eager to create distance to ease her discomfort.