Chapter 20

Macey turned her attention to Brian, "So," she said, staring at his too-tight-fitted jeans and t-shirt. Not that Macey had any interest after his display of snapping annoying photos of Dr. Polinski. "Why don't you come inside, and I'll show you the main level today."

"I hoped to tour the entire mansion," Brian said with a smirk Macey picked up on right away. Now that he's got permission to enter the mansion, the genuine Brian is surfacing. Maybe she should send him and his too-tight jeans walking.

Macey walked ahead and pushed the front door open. "Well, Jared and I are going to start on the main floor for the redecorating and will put a lot of items in storage. It's a good idea to get all the shots you can on the main floor now." Lie, the office, and Jared's bedroom upstairs was first on her list; besides, she didn't want to allow him near her private quarters. Not while he's creepier than she initially thought. Macey wonders if he was the tree lurker after all. 

Brian followed her into the foyer, "Wow, it's larger than I imagined."

"As you can see, we haven't changed a thing," Macey said as she began the tour. "Some items will remain like these portraits." I would love to store them in the attic. "We'll start in the dining room and work our way around. After I've shown you around, you'll be on your own."

Brian gave her two glances, "You'll leave me to explore on my own?"

"Daniel will check in on you," Macey nodded. I have work to do, but I'll be close by."

Brian turned around and saw Daniel standing by the dining room entrance. "Oh, I see." 

He didn't think I'd have a backup.

They toured the dining hall, where Macey told him they eat vegetables and nothing else. Daniel smiled at that one. They toured the home office, living, and family rooms. An ample space that Macey hadn't been in herself was next.  

"The ballroom," Daniel explained. Macey laughed at Daniel, mimicking a tour guide at the history museum. Macey wondered when that last dance was and what she could use the room for now. 

The library was the last room of the tour. Macey walked in first, "This is the library."

Brian walked in behind her, "Looks like you have plenty of antiques here." Macey was beginning to wonder if Brian's interest in photographing the house was to price the goods. 

Macey eyed the tree, "Yes, we do. So, that ends the tour. You are welcome to wander and take your pictures. I do have a request, though."

"Yes, anything," Brian said, still eyeing all the books.

"I'll need a copy of every photo you take, at my expense, of course. I'll be saving the photos for Jared."

"Easy enough," Brian said as Macey walked out of the room talking to Daniel.

"Shit!" Brian said.

Macey turned toward him and saw him reaching for the back of his leg. "What's happened," she said, darting her eyes at the tree. 

Brian's face was red. He looked up at Macey, "Something hit my leg."

"What?" Macey circled him and saw a rip in his jeans right across the back of his leg. "What, how could that have happened," she said, looking around for a sharp object. 

"Felt like a beating I used to get from my mother when she told me to go get the switch from the tree," Brian said. 

Macey laughed, but it was phony. She looked back at the hand-painted tree as they left the room. "We'll get you something to patch that up. Daniel, can you try and find what he cut himself on and get rid of it?"