Chapter 22

Macey grabbed Jared and shoved him to Roxanna getting her son out of immediate danger. Principal Tillinghast palmed the desk, stood, stared dead at Macey, and growled like an animal about to attack its prey. Macey's eyes widened, mouth fell wide open. Tillinghast's face twisted in a way that made him look angry and then sad. Macey took in every detail and decided Roxanna was right. Principal Tillinghast is possessed or deranged. Either way, Macey's heart pounded against her chest, waiting for his next move. The man behind the desk isn't the school principal anymore. He's someone or something else, and Macey didn't care to know this new identity growing more evil-looking by the second. She took a couple of steps back, careful not to make sudden movements but ready to bolt. She thought she'd glide out of the room, leaving the twisted being to himself until Tillinghast lunged.

Macey stumbled back, crashing into the wall, "Run!" she said to Roxanna.

Roxanna was already wide open with Jared riding piggyback. Her arms were swinging by her side much like a warrior out of an animated action movie. Jared wrapped his arms and legs tight around her, holding on for dear life, his face buried in her neck. They were ten feet ahead of Macey and creating more distance with each stride. 

Principal Tillinghast burst out of the office, aiming for Macey. His face was distorted, appearing half-human. Macey didn't know what or who the other half was supposed to be, but it didn't look at all friendly. 

She glanced back at the spectacle, "Oh my god." She widened her gait, dug her heels, and caught up with Roxanna in seconds. "Get in the car!" she said as she cleared the exit a step behind Roxanna. Escaping was their one option to get the kids to safety. Besides, Macey had no clue what they were up against but suspected the family tree had something to do with it. Since she moved into the mansion, everything happened because of the tree, and Principal Tillinghast is no exception.  

Tillinghast made a sudden stop at the exit, never leaving the building. Macey looked back at him as she grabbed the door handle to the car. Macey was the last to get in the vehicle, with Roxanna on the passenger side, holding the dash. A clue she expected Macey to floor it. Jared and Brenda sat backseat, both breathing hard and pale-faced. Brenda with tears streaming down her cheeks.

Tillinghast stood at the school entrance, dazed as if he didn't understand why he was standing at the exit. He scratched his head and walked deeper into the building, disappearing into the darkness, both interior and mind. Macey wondered if he would linger in a state of madness and how long it would take to get him removed from his position.

Breathing hard and sitting next to Roxanna, Macey said, "He doesn't know."

"What?" Roxanna said, breathing hard herself.

Macey started the engine. "He has no idea what just happened. Something else is going on, something at the mansion."

"The mansion? Macey, Tillinghast just chased us out of the freaking school building, and you're concerned about the mansion. What's wrong with you?"

A day ago, Roxanna's question would have had Macey doing everything she could to cover up her recent sleepwalking episodes. That was yesterday,  "You don't understand," Macey said as she drove toward home. She thought about Roxanna and the way she helped her son. She would have never guessed she'd help, not after the last couple of days. She swallowed her pride and said, "Thanks for helping, Jared."

"No problem," Roxanna glanced at the kids in the backseat. "You two, ok?"

They both nodded, but she noticed Jared's concerned face and Brenda's teary eyes. She turned forward-facing and tried lowering her voice, "What in the world, Macey. The kids are scared to death."