Chapter 29

The tree whipped its branches more violently than Macey saw in her dreams. The names of the dead each came outward from the tree, rotating inward and back out. It was mesmerizing and dizzying at the same time. Macey's chest rose and sunk in rhythm with her deep breaths. She glanced back at David, who had joined Roxanna, the beast, and Sarah. 

"Jared," Macey said as she turned back to him. But he was gone. "Jared!" 

Little Brenda stood, wide-eyed and gasping. She pointed at the tree, "He went in there," she said and then lowered herself to the floor and curled her body. Her head tucked away to safety. 

Macey ran to the tree and crash into the wall. Her nose bled. She smacked the wall, "No, no, no!" Her knees buckled, and tears streamed but a change had come over her with it courage she's never felt before. She placed one hand on Brenda's shoulder, "Stay here," she said. Then she faced Evalena. 

David, Roxanna, the Beast, and Sarah were still between Macey and the witch, but Evalena had her evil eyes on Macey. Macey had no idea where Jared had gone on the other side of that tree or if he'd ever return. Right then, she'd be proof that the blood of a living being boils. Her son was the one reason Macey came to the mansion. Macey wanted Jared to learn about his blood history, but she didn't sign up for this bullshit. The look on her face said she wasn't going to take it without a fight. Macey ran full force through her living, ghosts, and beast team and slammed into Evalena. Everything spun out of control. Macey felt nauseous. She couldn't see the others nor scream for them, and she no longer recognized the house. The hall extended longer and darker than at the Taber Mansion. A haze covered the floor, and Macey wasn't sure each step would land on a solid foundation. "Hello?" she called out. In response, she heard a wicked laugh and knew, without doubt, it was none other than Evalena. "You evil rotten witch. Show yourself." 

Macey thought if she kept Evalena's attention, Jared would be safe. She felt her way along the hall until she came upon a door. She searched for the handle and opened it to a new room. The space had bright yellow curtains, a bed with a white crochet quilt, and fresh flowers on the side table. Next to it was a framed photo of her, Paul, and Jared. Macey's never seen the image before, "What is this place?"

"You want to live here, my dear?"

"Go to hell, witch!" The last thing she wanted to hear was Evalena's voice. The source of all her problems and the disappearance of Jared. The son of Paul, the Taber blood Evalena seeks. 

Macey heard people talking outside the bedroom window. She walked over and looked out, and from the second story, she saw Paul and Jared passing a football back and forth. Macey leaned her head on the window frame and wept. Seeing Paul alive was all she has wanted since his death. His eyes and smile were identical to Paul's. It must be Paul. Let it be Paul.

But it wasn't Paul. 

"This isn't real," she said. As soon as she said it, she was back in the dark hallway, searching along the wall with her guiding hands. She came to another door. This time people were talking inside the room. She took a deep breath and flung the door open, unsure of what she'd see on the other side.

"Macey! Come in," Roxanna said, dressed in her high school mini and crop top. There were others in the room, all from her high school years before the fallout. Those were better days but didn't compare to her life with Paul, who was everything to Macey. Their life, son, love surpassed all her dreams. 

"You may start your life over if you like," came the voice of Evalena.

Macey slammed the door and screamed, "Shut up!" For what reason would she start over? Live the same story and lose Paul in the end or avoid marrying Paul altogether and avoid her current nightmare. Both scenarios sucked, and the latter excluded Jared. For Macey, there was no existing without Jared.