Chapter 6

"It is you," Roxanna said with a mocking tone, fitting for her personality. 

Macey wished it wasn't Roxanna Greyson she now faced. But, after seeing Chad Greyson this morning, she doubted coincidence.  "Yes, it's me." 

"Chad told me he saw you this morning," there came that wicked grin of hers. "You have a son, Jared, is it?"

"Yes, Jared."

"Paul's?"

Roxanna knew damn well Jared was Paul's son. "Of course, and Brenda?"

Roxanna flailed her arms, "You know Brenda is Chad's daughter!"

"Slow down, Roxanna. I thought we were open since you asked me about Jared, and well, you are in your high school best. It reminds me of the old days." Roxanna glanced down at her loud outfit. A pink mini and white cotton top. Macey raised one eyebrow and tilted her head. Ten years later, Roxanna still dressed as if in high school, and she had to be approaching age thirty. Nothing wrong with pointing to the obvious. 

Roxanna's cheeks flushed. "How dare-"

"Yeah," Macey said with a sigh. "We're not in high school anymore. Nice to see you again." Macey fished for her keys and left Roxanna standing in front of the building. This time she didn't need to wonder as she did with Chad. Roxanna was furious without a doubt after that insult. If Macey's attack accomplished anything, she is no longer the high school Macey, and Roxanna just received a new Macey dose. Pat yourself on the back; that was three challenging encounters conquered in one day.  

Feeling relieved, Macey decided to have lunch, and she'd have it at the old gathering place. Jack's Subs. Why not? She had already dealt with the worst two human beings in town as well as the board. So she might as well get the stragglers out of the way—the people who hurt her most.

Jack's Subs looked the same, just a little dustier. Jack was behind the window, tossing meals through to servers. He glanced but didn't recognize her; at least it appeared that way. Spying a seat for two in the corner, Macey proceeded in the same direction. As she walked by, she noticed a few familiar people. They whispered but didn't say anything to her, though she knew they were dying to hear her story. Poor girl marries rich, and the husband dies, father-in-law dies soon after. Poor girl gets everything. That's her story. Except, she didn't get "everything." She didn't get to grow old with Paul or have him share Jared's milestones, like proms, marriage, or his first day of school. She stared down at the menu and wasn't surprised Jack hadn't updated it. The entire town seemed stuck in 2012, and she'd think it was if everyone familiar looked younger. And, like the butler, they wore the same clothing sported years ago. 

"Macey?" came a voice from her left. "Macey Taber?"

"Yes."

"Hello, I'm from the Virginia Courier. Brian Buxton. Sorry to disturb you. I was planning to give you a call."

"For what?"

"I've attempted to gain entry into the mansion in the past." Brian fumbled his words. "I mean. You see, I wanted to run a piece on its history. Take some photos."

Macey folded her menu. The opportunists aren't sleeping today, "I'm not interested." 

"The place is beautiful from the outside, day and night, and I'd love to run a historical piece about it-"

"It was you lurking in the dark last night?"

Brian shuffled his feet, unsure where this conversation was leading. "No, I haven't been- what?" 

"You stay away from my house. Understood."

Macey rose from her seat to walk away, but Brian grabbed her arm. She yanked her arm free and gave him a stare he dared not challenge. "Wait, Mrs. Taber, please. I haven't been to the mansion." He stood and held his arms in the air, "I mean no harm. But, please, let me buy you lunch and explain."