Chapter 28

"It's Eddie," Macey mumbled to herself. The beast turned his head and revealed seven horns. There are three small horns on each side of the head and one more prominent one at the back. It gave the appearance of being windblown. 

"Eddie?" Macey said. 

The beast snarled and took a step closer to them. "Let's go," Roxanna said. 

But Macey stood frozen, staring at the beast. If the beast before her is Eddie, she'd see it in his eyes. Because Eddie, Sarah, and Jared shared the same color and expression in those beautiful brown eyes.  

"He's not Eddie anymore. We have to get back to the tree. That's the way to save him," Roxanna said as she picked up two gallons of paint. She didn't know how to save Eddie or if it was possible. She aimed to get Macey moving before the beast devoured her.  

Macey came to her senses, "OK, walk toward the door," she said, not knowing what would happen next. Eddie, the beast, stared at the two like an animal about to attack its prey. Macey and Roxanna took steps toward the attic door. But, the beast turned his body aligned with them. It snarled, drooled, and marched toward them. 

"Go!" Macey said, pushing Roxanna through the doorway. They stumbled down the stairs, each carrying two gallons of paint. 

Roxanna swung one of the paint cans into her shin and screamed, "That hurt!"  

The beast didn't follow them, and they didn't stop to ask it, "Hey, why aren't you chasing us?"  

Creating distance was the best option. With that in mind, Macey and Roxanna descended the stairs together, each holding the paint cans. They ran toward the library, where Macey dropped a can and fist-pounded the door. 

"Where are they?" Macey said as she grew tired. 

"Who's there?" David yelled from the other side. 

"It took you long enough, open the door!" Roxanna had zero patience when a witch, ghost, and beast were the threat. 

"It's us, David," Macey said in a softer tone. "Open up." She was thankful David and the kids were still in the library.   

When David opened the door, Roxanna burst through, shoving him to the side. "That's a grand entrance," David said unapologetically. 

The furniture was against the walls, and a lamp aimed at the family tree was centered mid-room. Macey and Roxanna dropped the cans of paint and caught their breath. Roxanna examined her leg, "That's a massive bruise," she said. 

"Where's Eddie?" David said, looking out into the hallway. He shut and locked the door when no one else appeared. 

Roxanna rubbed her hands after dropping the can, "Ouch! That hurt my fingers," she looked at David, "Eddie's a freaking beast. I mean total animal."

David shot her a curious glare, "Shouldn't we get to know the lad before labeling him a beast?"

A thud came at the door, indicating something large and soft fell or perhaps leaned into the door.  David shifted his eyes at Macey and Roxanna, and the door. "Is that Eddie?" he said, inching his way toward the sound of a moan. 

"Don't open the door. Eddie is a beast." Roxanna said.

David paused just long enough to dismiss the idea of Eddie as a beast and opened the door. Eddie fell forward. His body lay limp across the threshold. His breaths were faint, and he was too weak to lift himself. 

As David leaned over him, assessing his condition Roxanna protested. "He was a beast in the attic. He could turn back into one."

David glared at her, "I see, and he's a real threat," he said with a firm tone of sarcasm.