Chapter 30

Chaos couldn't describe what happened next. Eddie fought the decrepit creature in a gruesome dual. He ripped the creature's head off. Anyone witnessing would be stunned at the sheer strength and vicious nature of the kill. But Macey, Roxanna, and David stared at something more terrifying than a couple of creatures' battle till death. 

Brenda levitated near the ceiling. A terrifying sight to see her hair disheveled and an off-colored drool that crept downward, meeting the floor. The scene straight out of a horror movie, meant to scare those who dare to watch. 

"Brenda," Roxanna said as she stumbled toward her, unsure of what to do. 

David grabbed Roxanna, "Wait," he said as he stared Brenda down. "That's not Brenda."

As soon as he said it, the thing spun and vanished, and then there was a knock at the door. They all turned their attention to the door. None of them had words. Macey was pissed. A cold sensation came over her.  Her new instinct was to kill all threats, and a part of her wondered if Sarah was responsible for her sudden changed personality. She's never wanted to kill anyone except Evalena, and she's already dead. So, it wouldn't be murder. At least that's what Macey was going with

"Answer the door," the beast said. Macey, Roxanna, and David gazed his way. Eddie was back in human form.  

David said, "So, the beast appears when there is a threat," analyzing everything he could. His instinct to survive the unimaginable. 

Macey took a deep breath and rushed to the door. She knew if she hesitated for just a moment, she would succumb to her inner thoughts. She grabbed the handle and yanked the door open. Macey had no idea what was on the other side of the door until then. She lowered her sights to the height of her chest to see Brenda looking up at her. Is it Brenda? Just a moment ago, something resembling Brenda levitated and then spun out of sight. Perhaps into the hall. Macey stepped back, creating distance between herself and, and..."Who are you?" 

 "Brenda," the child said. 

David held onto Roxanna, "Why are you out there?" he said. 

"I had to pee," the child said. 

Roxanna broke free from David's grip, "Brenda," she cried as she pulled her close. "You shouldn't have gone by yourself." 

The child looked up at her mother teary-eyed, "I'm sorry, Mommy. Daddy said it was ok," 

"Daddy?" Roxanna replied in no more than a whisper. "You saw daddy?" She pulled Brenda inside the library. "Where did you see him?" she asked, squeezing Brenda's shoulders. 

"Mommy, you're hurting me," Brenda whimpered. 

Guilt rushed through Roxanna, for squeezing her daughter's arm too hard and for not acknowledging her husband was dead. The last they heard from Chad was him yelling from the front door. Evalena had gone to the door, but none of them gave it another thought. How had they dismissed her husband's welfare?  "I am sorry, sweetie, but we need to know where your daddy is."

 Eddie tugged David's sleeve and whispered, "We shouldn't look for Chad."

David's brows furrowed, "Why?" But by the expression on Eddie's face, David didn't need words. Chad was dead somewhere in the mansion. They both listened as Roxanna questioned Brenda, who said her daddy was in the hall. In the hall. What is it about that freaking hall that houses all dead things?  David wondered how he would help the group mentally get through illusions when some of what they saw weren't illusions.  The beast, Sarah, and Evalena are proof some myths are real. 

"Let's go find your father," Roxanna said with a lump in her throat. 

David and Eddie sprung into action. "I don't think we should forget about Evalena. She's capable of making us see and hear things that aren't there, like an alternate reality. Evalena could be setting a trap." David said.