Chapter 10

A few errands later, and it was time to pick Jared up from school. Macey parked facing the school entrance. As she waited, she decided to slow down and stop trying to get everything done at once. If she is sleepwalking, it is due to being overwhelmed. What else could it be? Well, your husband died, your son is bullied, and a freaky hand-painted tree is stalking you. If she revealed the last part, people would question her sanity. The path to accomplishing stability is to talk to the psychiatrist. At least, she hopes that will be the case, and so being forthright is critical.

Dr. Polinski, the hand-painted family tree, whips its wicked branches at me during the night. I know it sounds crazy, but the tree is alive. 

That'll do it,  but Macey knew not to express self-harm or harm to others to stay out of the psychiatric hospital. Before her marriage to Paul, her parents perished in a car accident. Macey was near a significant breakdown and almost landed in a hospital, involuntary. Paul, having experienced psychiatric care, helped her avoid committal. 

The muffled sound of the school bell rang, relieving her from her thoughts. Moments later, kids burst through the doors and scattered like prisoners freed from small cells and bland food. In the crowd, she saw Roxanna towering over the kids. Her head swung side to side, chin up, chin down, all while running her mouth. What is she doing other than yakking? As the swarm of kids drew closer and dispersed to their parent's cars and school buses, Macey got a clear view of Roxanna. No fucking way. Macey saw it was Jared Roxanna spoke to and was out of the car without thinking. In a flash, she was steps from Roxanna but focused on Jared.

Jared, her son, the one reason she carries on, was in tears. "Mom!" he cried.  

Macey cradled Jared's face, "It's ok. Go to the car. Mommy wants to have a word with Mrs. Greyson." Jared ran for the car as Macey looked on. Her heart sunk. When the other kids picked on Jared, she thought it better to teach her son to take up for himself. But, when an adult bullies Jared, Mommy must take over. When Jared was near the car, Macey turned to Roxanna. "Hi Roxanna," she said in a slow, menacing tone. "Where's Brenda? Did you forget her because you were too busy abusing my son?"

Roxanna place both hands on her hips, "Macey," she said as patronizing as anyone could.

There was no explaining, no excuse, and no way she was going to talk her way out of this or walk away unscathed. So, out of instinct, Macey got within arm's reach.

"I was just telling Jared what good friends we are," Roxanna said.

Macey threw a sucker punch and knocked Roxanna off her feet. Blood dripped from her mouth and onto the sidewalk. 

Someone yelled, "Mrs. Taber! Mrs. Taber!" 

Roxanna wiped the blood from her lips, "You bitch!" She scrambled to get to her feet.

Before she could, Macey kneeled beside her and grabbed her face, "You ever speak to my son again. I'll show you the true meaning." 

"Mrs. Taber! You are violating school ground rules!" said a five-foot woman wearing a black skirt and block heels. The tight bun and cat-eye glasses added to her fifties-style fashion. 

"You saw Mrs. Greyson bully my son, and you did nothing to prevent the abuse, and I violated school rules?" 

The woman frowned and fumbled for words. All the school children stared, waiting for the outcome. Macey felt she should stop, gain her composure. But there was no stopping her now, not when it came to Jared. "You failed to protect my son from an adult attacker. I want to see your principle!" 

"Ma'am, please come inside," the woman said with a trembling voice. She made eye contact with Roxanna and back at Macey. 

Macey read it well. This woman will protect Roxanna. Whether it was out of loyalty or fear made no difference. Allowing Roxanna to attack a child is unacceptable, and this woman, pointy nose, and all are as much to blame as Roxanna. "What the hell is going on at this school? It is my son's second day, and the abuse here is clear."