Chapter 23

Macey ran down the hall after she heard Roxanna say she found Jared and Brenda. She wasn't surprised to see Roxanna on the floor just outside the library. Her skin was pale, hair disheveled. Macey already assumed she had met the tree given her state, but she'd deal with hidden secrets later, "Are you alright? Where are the kids?" 

Roxanna stared at the library door, "I'm ok. I haven't seen the kids."

"I thought you said you found them," Macey had a gut feeling she was going to have to come clean about the tree. 

"I heard voices in the library. I thought it was Brenda and Jared." She shook her head. "I'm. Who painted that tree?"

Oh, that tree. My husband's dead relatives painted it. By the way, it's haunted. 

"I'm not sure. It has been there for years," Macey said. She helped Roxanna to her feet. 

Roxanna glared at Macey, "How long have you known?"

"About what?"

Roxanna threw her hand on her hip, "The tree is alive."

"How? You talk like you think it's a person or haunted." Macey understood she sounded lame, but she couldn't help but escape telling Roxanna the truth. 

"The tree, Macey. It just threw me out of the library," Roxanna said, straightening her skirt.

Jared and Brenda ran through the halls giggling. Macey heard Jared say, "Come this way. I'll show you the big ballroom."

"Jared!" Macey and Roxanna went running toward their voices. The main foyer was empty. Roxanna commented on dead people in paintings staring at them. Macey ignored her and continued toward the ballroom. They burst through the ballroom doors, "Jared!" Macey's voice echoed, "It's empty." She looked over at Roxanna, "I heard them. They were in here a second ago, damned house."

"Come on, let's find Dr. Polinski," Roxanna said. She grabbed Macey by the arm, pulling her out of the ballroom, determined to find the kids and to keep her friend from falling apart. 

Yesterday they couldn't stand each other, and there they were, working together to find their children as if they never parted. They entered an empty dining room and then the kitchen, where they saw Jared and Brenda sitting at the large kitchen island. David poured them sweet tea from the frig. He looked over at Macey, "There you are."

"We've been yelling. Didn't you hear us?" Roxanna said.

David shook his head, "Not a word."

Macey thought back to when she yelled for Jared outside his bedroom, and he, too, never heard her screams. As she stood there, she could feel Roxanna's stare. She, David, and Roxanna needed to talk. "Where's Daniel?"

"Here, ma'am," Daniel said as he entered the kitchen. 

"Daniel, will you take the kids out on the patio?"

"Yes, ma'am," Daniel said.

Macey noticed his frown, "And, Daniel, after you get them settled, please return here."

"Yes, ma'am," Daniel said and then left the kitchen with Jared and Brenda. 

Macey still felt Roxanna's glare. David put the container of tea away and faced the two of them. "Where have you two been?"

Macey cleared her throat, "Down the hall, looking for the kids. You been in here the whole time?"

David leaned on the center island and darted his eyes back and forth, studying Macey before he said, "Roxanna?"