Chapter 17

"Jared, time to go," Macey said in a tone better suited for playtime because she didn't want to alarm him.  What to do about Jared talking to a hand-painted tree challenged her parenting skills. Kids have imaginary friends, and Jared's happen to be his ancestors. She could leave it at that, just a kid being a kid, but Macey knew that wasn't true. Her son learned the history of his family he's never been taught, and it's impossible to fathom he's communicating with the dead. Jared took a while, and Macey didn't want to rush him. Not until she sorted it all out. So she waited by the front door and examined the portraits of the same dead relatives Jared talked to in the library. 

Sarah Taber remained at the mansion until she died. Perhaps wealth kept her and other family members from moving out of the estate.  At least, that's the conclusion Macey chose because she would have run like hell. 

Who are you kidding, Macey? You're still here. 

Paul did a lot of research on the family history and shared parts with Macey before he died. The wealth grew from trading furs, then cotton mills and other mass production mills. Those were the days before the family farming business. Today the wealth retained is through Taber's stocks after Joseph, the third, invested in most everything hot on the market.

There was the one brother, Edward Taber, who Joseph had committed to the asylum that left the mansion, albeit forced. It would be nice if he were alive today. Macey would love to hear his story about his departure from the Taber wealth. 

As Macey wondered why Edward's painting wasn't on the wall, she felt someone breathing on her neck. It was more like a tingling flowing through her skin. She stared into the eyes of Sarah's painting, afraid to turn around and confront the entity. 

It's not real. 

But it is, and it towered over her. 

It's not a person. 

And it wasn't.

"Ready, Mom," Jared said.

Macey stumbled back and spotted Jared standing in the foyer's open space, lurking for a better description. "Jared, you scared me again."

"I know, Mom." He sounded so grown-up.

Macey took in her surroundings, eyes wide, filled with fear. Someone or something was there but now has disappeared. She ran her trembling hand through her hair, "Ready to pick out some furniture?" she said, trying to hide her fear.

"Sure," Jared said but remained at the end of the foyer.

"Are you coming?" Macey watched as Jared scrutinized the entry hall. "Jared?"

His eyes darted back at her, "Yes," he said, proceeding down the long foyer. 

Macey got a distinct feeling he waited for someone or something to leave the foyer before proceeding. He sees it, and she feels it. "You doing ok, sweetie?"

Jared said, "Yes."

"Want to explore more of the mansion later?" 

"No."

Macey stopped walking, and Jared looked back at her, "Why?" she said. "I thought you liked exploring."

"Not anymore," he said and continued out the door.

Macey caught up, shutting the door behind her, "There's a furniture store in town for kids that may have some cool stuff like lamps and curtains. But we should go to a regular store for a large-size mattress."

Macey got in the car. Jared climbed into the passenger side, "You'll be a teenager fast, and we won't have to buy a bed later if we keep the one already there."