Chapter 6: Mornings

A morning greeting does not only mean Good Morning, it has a silent, and loving message saying, I think of you when I wake up. 

-unknown

CHAPTER 6

We dropped off my sister in our condominium before we headed to our favorite place. We went to the hilltop overlooking the city. It was our favorite place to think and vent out.

Dark knew how to sense my mood. He knew something must have gone wrong. He didn't ask me because I will tell him. As he parked the car and shut off the engine, I quickly went out of the vehicle.

Dark set out the picnic blanket on the grass overlooking the city. Pulling out his jacket, he placed it on my shoulders and guided me towards the laid out blanket.

"Did you wait for us?" I asked him, breaking the silence. I was cocooned in his arms while we were gazing at the city lights below. It was beautiful from afar.

He nodded. "Your sister told me to stay."

"She was right." I huffed a breathe "It was a rough exchange."

I told him everything that transpired while he silently nodded. In the end, his jaw was clammed and he shook his head.

"I'm sorry you had to go through it." He mournfully said "Although marriage should be forever, there's no point of staying when you don't love each other. You are hurting each and you're only staying for the purpose of saving the marriage but not the people in the marriage."

"Exactly. They call it a sin."

"There's a lot of debate about it." Dark added.

"I just hope people could be more open to it." I told him honestly as I curled my hands on his chest tracing patterns "Thank you for waiting for us. I know you had a lot of things to do."

"I can't leave my favorite girl." He grinned nuzzling my neck.

"I'm your only girl." I rolled my eyes at him and squinted it "Why? Do you have other girls?"

He laughed a throaty laugh "How can I when a certain she-devil has my heart?"

I pouted at him "You're such a sweet. But seriously, why me?"

It was a question I asked myself hundreds of times. I would often lie awake in bed and think of how he can possibly choose me. There are tons of women lined up in front of his doorsteps. But he chose me.

Me. Laurene Velarde.

His eyes crinkled and a boyish grin formed on his lips

"What do you mean, baby?" he asked innocently but I knew he was only teasing me.

"You know what I mean." I whined at him pulling his shirt "I kept asking you why to choose me when you have dozens of women on your feet, but you always end up teasing me."

"I don't need a dozen women. I only want you, Laurene."

"But why me?" I asked impatiently.

He chuckled and kissed the top of my nose. His eyes glittered under the night lights and a smile was on his lips. His eyes remained inches from mine.

"It's because of this." He said pointing to my heart "Your heart is big and it's pure despite being broken by so many people. The moment I looked into your eyes, I knew you had a sense of sadness in your depths. But it didn't stop you to put on a brave face and see everything in a positive light. It didn't stop you from unmasking the man people thought of as cold and dark. And I am humbled to be basked in your love."