Chapter 25: Mother

Chapter 25

"I'll be attending a conference next week and Lyana's classes were cancelled for a week due to the incident at her university." my mother explained to me on the phone as I moved to a more secluded area in the park.

Sitting at the base of a tree, I crossed my legs and leaned my body on trunk. There were a few kids running about with their bicycles and scooters. I waved at them as my mother talked on the phone.

"We'll fly out tonight. Lyana already told you about what happened at school?"

Lyana informed me last week that there was a shooting incident on one of the building in her university. Thankfully, no one died but there were injuries. An investigation was being held and classes were cancelled to ensure the safety of the students.

I was thankful my sister wasn't in the building. Whoever the man was, he needed help. Turning to my mother, I bit my lip if I should tell her about my problems. I can probably get an insight.

"Yes, Ma." I told her "She was shaking when she told me about it."

I can still remember the cries of my sister as she sobbed on the phone and told me what happened. She may not be in the same building but she saw the injured students running outside as she was scampering to her car.

The image gave her nightmares and I told her to schedule a session with a psychologist.

"I'll have our housekeeper prepare our condo." I told my mom. It was a good thing that our place wasn't booked for the week.

"Thanks sweetie." my mother replied. She paused for a while and said, "Laurene are you allowed to take phone calls during working hours?"

"Well." I stuttered, pausing to tell her where I was or not. "I'm on leave Ma."

"Why? Are you sick?" she worriedly asked. "Are you having migraines again?"

"No, I'm fine." I quickly stopped her. I heard her sigh on the other line. "I attended a workshop in Ortigas."

"Oh good! What is it about? Is it about forex? You should try investing in forex sweetie." My mother enthusiastically replied.

"No. It's not about investment. It was a writing workshop." She stopped at the other line. And I knew I should stop as well but I couldn't contain my euphoria "It was really nice Ma. There were a lot of published writers and aspiring writers in the workshop. They gave us tips and exercises to enhance our skills. I really liked it and I wished I could be like them."

"That's really nice sweetie." my mother slowly said. "But you should focus on seminars that is in your field. You're already a señior in your team, so you have to take classes to help you rise up the ranks. In a few years time you can become a manager."

"Ma.."

"Sweetie if I was smart as you in numbers, I would have taken the oppurtunity to climb the ranks of becoming a manager and vice president." she droned on "You won't succeed becoming a writer. It's just a hobby. You shouldn't focus on it. You're a CPA and you have a steady flow of income."

"I know but.." Hurt was evident at my voice as she belittles writers. They are artists!

"Laurene you're not listening. Again." she sighed on the other line "I told you a hundred of times that its hard to be hungry and to have no money. Your profession will help you put food on the table and it'll help you climb the ranks."

"But this is your dream. Not mine." I snapped at her. It was true. My mother always told us that if only she got the best education she would have taken up accountancy and became a manager.