Chapter 18: Fight

We were starving when we finally decided to go out of our room. I was wearing Dark's t-shirts and his boxers, while Dark wore the boxers I bought him in LA.

I bought him so many clothes and he promised to wear them. With his clasped tightly with mine and his eyes on me, I didn't notice the woman sitting on a stool on the kitchen island.

"Jo." Dark halted beside me.

Johanna faced us with a grin on her face but it quickly turned into a frown when he saw Dark's shirtless chest full of hickeys and scratch marks. Her eyes slid to mine and I had to stop myself from smirking.

One point for Laurene, and zero for Johanna.

If she was his cousin, she shouldn't be reacting this way. Dark seemed oblivious beside me because he guided me to a stool and began opening drawers.

"What are you doing here Jo?" Dark asked as he began to heat the food cooked by his housekeeper and cook, Aling Mina.

Johanna clearly dismissed my presence and began pouting at Dark. "We always eat together. I didn't know it had to change while she's here."

My eyes squinted at that information. They eat together?

Dark shook his head and began getting me a plate and serving me food. He slid at the stool right next to mine and began feeding me.

"She can't eat on her own?" Johanna asked as her words dripped in venom. I pursed my lips to stop myself from snapping at her. As Dark's family, I didn't want to hate her. But a little more and I'll have to strangle her neck.

"Yes, she can Jo. But when she's here, I'm going to treat her like a queen." Dark was annoyed as he stared at his cousin. Johanna shrugged and began munching on her own pasta.

Dark focused on feeding me while I fed him too. A lone sauce fell on the side of my lips and Dark licked it. I grinned at his playfulness and squeezed his thigh.

I heard Johanna wretched in the air and I snapped my head towards her despite Dark telling me to ignore it.

"Is something wrong, sweetie?" I sweetly asked her despite the sarcasm dripping in my voice.

She looked like a dear caught in the headlights. She didn't expect me to fight back. Well, Johanna, you're in for a treat. Her eyes flashed in anger, but she pulled a smile on her face.

"I just thought it was rude of you to lick each other in front of me?" she pointed out innocently as she played with her pasta.

"It's our home, so it's our rules. If you're not comfortable, the door is open for you to leave."

Fake tears formed on her lips and she slid out of her stool. "You're mean and rude." she sobbed like a kid and turned to Dark "How can you let her say those things to me?"

Crying like a wounded puppy, she ran out of the room and towards the elevator. Dark frustratingly shook his head at me.

"Why did you have to say those things to her?"

"Excuse me?" I exclaimed "She was the one being rude and disrespectful. I had to tell her the truth. If she's not comfortable then it's better if she leaves."

"She's just a child, Laurene." He gritted out as my temper spiked.

"She's 17. Turning 18, Dark. She's old enough to know what's right and wrong. Being disrespectful to her elders isn't great quality." I pointed out to him with my arms crossed in front of my chest.

But Dark seemed to defend her even more. He shook his head and slid off his tool. "I do understand your point, Laurene. But I hoped you weren't callous with your words."

My shoulders slumped as he began to walk out of the room.

"Where are you going?" I asked him.

"I'm going to Johanna." He said with his back turned "I'll try to fix the mess you made."

"What?" I dejectedly asked as I watched him.

It was my fault? My fault?

My throat clogged and I felt hot tears on my eyes. I tried opening and closing my mouth but no words seemed to come out. I was lost for words. And for the first time, I felt the deep stabbing pain of my betrayal in my chest.

Grabbing his coat, he wrapped it on his forms and left me staring into the closed doors with my lips trembling and my tears falling on my cheeks.

***

It was already 9 in the evening and I still haven't received any texts from Dark. After our fight, I didn't have any appetite to finish our meal. So, I cleaned the dishes, showered, and grabbed my stuff.

I left him a text and a note apologizing for my behavior and informing him I'll be staying at my condominium. I sent him a text at 2 pm. Until now, he hasn't replied.

It was unlike him to be this way. He usually replies a few seconds from my text. I didn't like our situation. I didn't like how he defended his cousin's actions.

It was disrespectful. If she had a problem and she doesn't have anything good to say, then it's better for her to leave and shut up. But obviously, Dark doesn't see it that way.

Being the bigger person, I apologized.

I was almost giving up on waiting for him when I heard knocking on my door. Staring at the peephole, I found out it was Dark. Quickly, I opened my door and his desolate face greeted me.

"Hey, can I come in?" he asked as he stared at me. I quietly nodded and let him in.

"I'm sorry." He faced me as he got in. There was sadness in his eyes "I shouldn't have snapped at you. Jo's actions were wrong and she did apologize."

"I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have snapped at her." I told him.

"Can we leave it behind us? I hate fighting with you." He asked as he wrapped his arms around me and I snuggled in his chest. With his chin on top of my forehead, he massaged the spots on my back.

"I hate fighting with you too." My muffled voice told him. he chuckled.

"Jo and I will be shopping for her dorm stuff tomorrow would you like to come?"

His eyes were filled with hope. I didn't want to but I found myself nodding yes.

Published 04.23.2020