Chapter 8: Luke

CHAPTER 8

I fell in love with Luke Daniels when I was 15. I was a freshman student helping our Student Council for the Intramurals when I saw training with the varsity players for the incoming collegiate games. It wasn't hard to spot him with his curly hair, chiseled jaw, and Spanish features.

He had light summer green eyes that made you want to stare at it for hours. I wasn't the most striking girl in school even though I like to dress up a lot. I remember him running laps around the court with his teammates when I struggled to hold all the materials for the set-up of the stage and ended up making a mess.

It was mortifying to have everyone's eyes on new. With my head bent and my knees to the floor, I began to quickly grab every bit of material I can to get out of the place and run to my org mates. But I wasn't expecting him to stop in his tracks despite his teammate's protests, and help me.

It was in that moment with his sweat-filled eyes, boyish grin and soft curls on his face that my heart fluttered and an insane rhythm of butterflies thumped in my chest.

"Need a hand?" he asked me, a knowing grin on his face as he helped me grab the materials. I remember the blush on my cheeks as I nodded and silently picked up the scattered materials. I thought back then, he would leave me to be when he finished helping me gather all the materials. But I didn't expect him to carry all the materials and lead me towards the stage.

I remember the shocked and gasps of my org mates when they saw The Luke Daniels helping me carry the materials. But what was more astounding was when he asked me for lunch in front of everyone. I was embarrassed but giddy at his actions. I agreed for the reason it was the least I can do for helping him. But I didn't expect for us to connect, and to go out again.

Eventually, we became good friends and he asked to court me. He was sweet, charming and caring. It didn't take long for me to answer him. We were literally in cloud nine during those 2 years we've been together. He was an engineering varsity student while I was an accountancy student majoring in org.

We were our best friends, cheerleaders, and lovers. Considering the course we took was no joke, it helped to have someone understand the same struggles you are in. But it all ended when my parents had an annulment. I was going through a lot that I had to be in the constant call to my parents and my sister.

I was balancing my academics, my org life, and my family. I knew I didn't have time for him and he became my emotional support. But I didn't know it was too much for him. He couldn't handle me. He was having a hard time dealing with me always being away or sad. Eventually, he had to call quits.

It was heartbreaking. I remembered the tightening feeling of my chest as I can hear the small cracks began to multiply until I can no longer from the weight of it.

I trusted him. I thought I would find a home in him when I was having the biggest hurdle in my life. I was disappointed especially when he chose to transfer to another university. Did he regret being with me so much that he couldn't bear to be in the same university as me?

It was too much for me. Good thing I went to counseling and over time I became better. Although it still hurt it happened. We didn't have much of a good closure. So, seeing him again after 2 years was crazy.

I was dumbfounded as I looked up to him, his hands on my arms supporting me, while my hands were grasping the front of his chest. He had an easy-going smile on his face like nothing from 2 years before ever happened.

This brought me out from the shock of seeing him again that I quickly pulled away and blinked a couple of times to know he was real and here.

"Hi." He said, a small grin on his lips.