First steps

I didn't know at the time, but once I left my mother's womb and she picked the fetal membrane off me, both she and I were in our most vulnerable state.

Not that either of us would be able to do anything about it, even if we knew what was about to happen.

Now, after all these years, I have to say. In comparison to the enlightened races, we Kirin do come out of our mother's womb rather well functioning. Whereas most mammals need to nudge their newborns, as to get them to stand up or walk, I had no such problems.

Regarding the matter of the mind, even there, we hold many advantages. When I asked "Mother," I got the picture that most babies neither remember when or how they were born nor had they the mental capabilities to live on their own. For our genetic disposition being that different, I am genuinely grateful.

When I stumbled to my feet, I already knew quite a few things about life in general and had a mind that was capable of acting upon this knowledge.

This came from memories of my mother somehow finding their way into me.
I watched my mother just lying there, exhaustedly. Not that I could blame her. She had to give birth.

[ I am truly blessed that my child is such a beauty. And a rare one at that.]

Had we not developed in such a way, as to possess Telepathy by birth, I would have had a much harder time.
I stumbled around for a few seconds, trying to get it to work.

[Mo-... M... M...Mother? Mother, is everything well? It seems that you're exhausted!]

[Everything is as it should be, it seems. You and I both live.]

[That is great! I believe.]

[It is. It truly is. I think I have to excuse myself, but I seem to be somewhat sleepy... Would you wait for your mother to awaken? It shouldn't take that long. I hope.]

[I will wait. But mother?]

[Yes, child?]

[What is my name?]

She pondered for a minute, then leaned over to me and gave my snout a lick.

[I have wondered what it will be for over two years. And now that you're here, I have decided what it will be. Your grandfather was the most potent known Kirin in the last generation. I wondered if you could inherit his place as the leader of our species. And when I saw your black and white scales, I knew you are unique.]

She blinked a few times to keep herself awake.

[Not once did I see a Kirin with such plates. But it probably means something. The gods of these lands are always up to something. And someone special being born in a time, when our kind requires a savior, is probably a way for them to give us a chance. A chance for greatness. Once you become older, you will know what these words mean...]

She waited for a second for me to think her words over, me not knowing what she meant. I seemed to be something special. The only thing I felt at the time, was happiness, as my mother seemed to think highly of me.

[Because of all of those factors, I have chosen to name you "Prophet." I hope you will live up to the standard I am setting.]

[Prophet... I couldn't be happier with any other name.]

[Why is that?]

[Because you gave it to me!]

[Then I am glad. Once you are old enough, you may give yourself a first name as well. I am... *yawn* excited to get to hear it someday.]

[Rest now. I will stay watch]

[Thank you, dear.]

After my mother fell asleep, I distanced myself somewhat and started to walk around. I trotted, galloped, and pranced around the clearing with impacts as soft as the clouds above me. I snorted and pawed at the ground.

It felt great to move around. The field wasn't big enough for me to reach my highest speed, but that had to wait. I had to look out for my mother.
At the very edge of the clearing, there was a rock, surely four times my mother's size. Seeing how I was about half my mother's size, it indeed seemed enormous to me.

I could smell my mother's scent, coming from the mountains behind us. So she probably lived up there, I thought.

It would be good exercise climbing that rock, as to train when I inevitably went back up the mountains; home. And so I did.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"Should we do it now?"

Hushed whispers and a few clicks.

"We have no records of how fast adrenaline levels of Kirin drop, but this should be enough time for her body to get exhausted. She gave birth and is sleeping. She won't have enough might to overpower all eight of us. She didn't even clean up the umbilical cord. It is safe to say that this is the weakest, we will encounter her and probably our only chance."

A few clicks.

"Then I'd say we move unto phase 3. In which way should we move, commander?"

Hushed whispers.

"Go with plan β. I want that baby. We could present it to the empress as a gift. You all want to get promoted as well, I assume? I will write in my report that my team acted upon my orders and managed to catch the young one without me even ordering it. It might be a great gift by me once I am a noble, but my wife is pregnant, and I don't want to join the noble's power struggle without an heir, to call my own. So I've decided for you all to get what you deserve."

Clacks. And a few silent moments.
One could hear the commander's subordinate cracking up.

"Thank you, commander. My wife, too, is pregnant. And she wishes nothing more than for me to get a higher position in the rear. I truly thank you for being this considerate to us."

A sigh.

"All is well. You have served long enough under me. And all of you worked hard enough to get this. But first, we have to kill her. And don't you focus on the little one."

A moment of pondering.

"Have you ever seen a black and white Kirin?"

Clacks.

"I would have to ask Grand biologist Ivestix, but I for once never did, commander."

Clacks.

"Fine. Mobilize our men. Operation "Drop the horse" will start in ten minutes, and I want every scout on standby to know what plan we are going to execute."

Shuffling.

"Yes, sir!"

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I had climbed the rock in more ways than I could count, but it didn't get any less enjoyable. The first time I sprung up, I noticed that my feet stuck to the rock like honey, even if they connected at weird angles. Every few times, I looked over to my sleeping mother, watching her ears swat away insects and her tail whipping occasionally.

She must dream of beautiful things I, thought. About galloping over open fields, the wind moving out of the way for her to fly through it.
I wondered, what fields felt like when you ran over them.
Sadly I wouldn't get to experience such an experience with my mother, as the next thing that happened was the first great upset of my life.