Alaine

"You're quite unlucky for someone who is blessed by the gods. But this time you didn't even try. You almost killed the only person you cared about. Again."

Before me stood a devil. A real one. With leathery wings and a slender, yet armored tail, that I probably wouldn't like to get hit by.

And I don't know why but I find her to be rather charming. Beautiful even. I cannot really compare her to the werebears' woman or any other humanoid, as even my mother didn't meet many on her journeys, but she had this special something. Maybe it was just the contrast between her black hair and snow-white skin, but I also rocked a similar style. And I don't think I could ever be that kind of... alluring. Her clothing also made a difference, I suppose... I am kind of naked under my scales. And she is donning a... uniform of sorts? It surely wasn't an armor.

"Thanks. But I really have to hurry. They are already knocking on my door, wanting me to kill you. So if I may just get an answer from you?"

Eh?

[You didn't ask anything.]

"I was referring to your incompetence. How the hells do you do it?"

I don't quite understand what she... what you mean.

"Let's make this quick. You have to step your game up. A particular sky dragon and a... friend talked to me about you. I get it. Things can be complicated from time to time. But you just stumble your way through life.

Your mother already told you what your purpose in life is.

And instead of murdering your way into a comfy life, you can't even see a corpse without becoming hysteric. Grow up. Everyone serves a purpose. So do you. So you either concentrate on your mission from now on, or you get yourself killed."

May I ask why you tell me all that? If the people here want me dead, then why not just kill me?

"None of your business to be honest. And killing Kirin is strictly against my policies, so I won't do that either way. And now go and help your friend. I like to have fun. And as you are right now, you're not."

She throws me a small pouch.

"And now go! I don't want to have to meet you again. Just save your kind and live a happy life. No one expects anything more."

What is that? Is that medicine?

"An elixier. Don't waste it."

Just as my mind relaxed from the onslaught of emotions, she turned around, whipped me in the face with her tail, and vanished the next second into the night. No magic, no nothing. It almost seemed like she dissolved into the darkness.

And what is an "Elixir"?

Probably a magical ointment or something.

"Yes! Over there! There is the Kirin!"

I should probably get going.

Just as I turn around, I see the wings of the devil unfolding, her form flying up into the sky, to bring judgment upon me.

And when I reach top speed, the pouch in my mouth, a bolt of lightning hit the area we were conversing on top of.

And it was scary. This bolt felt like something that was designed to vanquish dragons. It most likely was.

And looking back at it, nothing but a crater remained of it. And it was still raining dirt, even after a good 10 seconds. Scary. But I didn't see Caelus fighting, so maybe all creatures of our level can become this strong.

In addition to that, it was good to know that she had a few more allies than she had expected.

In the later hours of the night, I finally found Valeria again. In all this commotion, I didn't think about how to get back, when I just randomly sprint into the lands. Another point that this devil had me figured out. Scary, really. And the real question was, whether she just read my mind about what had happened or whether she was expecting me because she watched me.