Finding the path to tread

[You know. I don't know how to handle this situation with my kind and all that. My mother didn't even leave me with a timeframe or anything. I am sure that I am supposed to take over the hierarchy at some point. But I don't even know when I would be able to.]

"That sounds like a YOU problem. And most definitely nothing I could help you with. Maybe your friend, the sky dragon, has some information on your clan of people?"

Valeria sunbathed on top of her little hill, for the last three hours. Despite having white skin, that more or less resembled snow, she didn't get a sunburn. Curious. But she did have a point. Caelus knew about Kirin, typically being not as draconic as me. He probably knows a lot more about my people than I do. Sadly my mom didn't lend me any knowledge about how our society works. I find that to be slightly weird, but oh well. She probably wanted to tell me directly or something.

[That's not a bad idea. Do you want to come with me? It's not like you'll get a tan or anything.]

"You're one to talk! You can't even feel the warming beams of the sun on your skin! And yes. I would like to join you."

She stands up, stretches, and jumps down to me. Looking herself over, she pats her back and behind down to get all the grass and dirt off it.

"Should I like... be cautious of him? Maybe try some clothes on?"

[Why is that?]

"Aren't dragons known for their greed and affinity to steal virgin maidens?"

[Maybe? And why would you care? You have children. Doesn't that invalidate your whole point?]

She pokes my nose and pouts a little.

"Just because I have children, that doesn't mean I am no virgin. You see. Us Fey don't reproduce like normal animals. If we decide to have children, we ask the spirits for help. But most of the larger Fey still have these primary reproductive organs, from when we were still more primitive."

[You're obsessing over your folk again.]

"Just let me have some fun! Not everyone gets to be a dragon."

[Are you jealous? Because you really shouldn't be. People don't hunt your mother for being something they can't deal with.]

"Yeah. They hunt her because of tax evasion."

[What's taxes, and why does your mother evade them?]

"Ehh... I'll tell you if you ever want to become part of a nation's society. Now let's go. If we're fast, we'll come back before the sun goes down."

Now that her children left, she didn't act all that motherly anymore. Was that because of hormones or something? But BFF Valeria is better to hang around with than motherly Valeria.

I can feel my mind aging and ripening, day for day. And if she didn't change, I fear we could have lost our connection. But my best friend over here, that just jumped onto my back is as cool and sweet as one could get. And what do you need more than a good friend, with some common knowledge, to mother you through your first month?

[Everything alright, up there?]

"I'm as ready, as could be."

[Fine.]

I knew that she struggled with the whole, staying on my back part. And I can't blame her. Us Kirin are designed to outspeed everything. And as she doesn't have anyway, to withstand the wind resistance, she has to hold onto me, as firmly, as she could. The trickiest thing about that was that I had to control my speed manually, as my maximum would just rip her off me.