𝖎𝖎𝖎. 𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖘

LA CASA DE TOLEDO
A MONTH INTO THE PLAN

Cairo squinted up at the blue sky; there wasn't a cloud in sight. The air here was clean and reminded her of the house she'd grown up in in Rome - the one by the sea with the rickety railings and broken steps that led to a precarious veranda. Sometimes, when she stood outside with her eyes closed and Denver spoke loudly to his father, she half expected to see her brother when she turned around to look at her fellow gang member.

"Hey! Where are you going?"

Denver and Moscow watched Rio run off into the countryside with questioning glances.

"Maybe he likes chatting to the sheep. They probably have better conversation skills than you anyway," Roma grinned up at Denver cheekily from his seat on a rickety lawn chair.

"Fuck you, Roma," Denver scowled. "Because you're such a pleasure to talk to. All you do is stare at clouds and sleep."

Cairo carefully perched herself on the arm of Roma's chair, praying to all the Gods she could name for it not to snap beneath her. The two young men hadn't said a nice word to each-other since they first met, but she was convinced that the two secretly liked each others company.

"I don't sleep all the time. I just like closing my eyes - they're sensitive."

"They're sensitive because you're high as fuck all the time," Denver lowered the tone of his voice so that el Profesor wouldn't here (though his conversation with Oslo on the semantics of languages would surely keep him occupied.

"He's not high all the time," Cairo ruffled Roma's hair fondly. "Though I have no fucking idea how el Profesor hasn't caught on yet."

"He met me when I was high and I've been that way pretty much every time I've spoken to him since then," Roma smirked proudly. "He probably thinks this is my natural state."

"Watch how this fucker sobers up once we're in the Mint and turns into a sociologist," Denver scoffed.

"I think you mean sociopath, dumbass."

"I'm the dumbass? Your mama probably smoked when you were in the womb and the fumes fucked your brain up-"

"Do you two have to have to compare dick sizes every time you have a conversation?" Cairo interrupted Denver before he could start yelling.

"You only have to say the word if you want to have a look for yourself. More than a look if you wa-"

"Denver! Son! Get over here!" Moscow gelled. "Oslo's going to teach us a Serbian!"

Denver shot Cairo and Roma a dirty look before he unwillingly trudged over to his father, dragging his feet as he went.

"We're going to some tiny island or other in Southern Asia or something and you want to learn Serbian?"

"You know," Roma whispered in her ear. "I'm pretty sure Rio ran off to chat to a certain friend of ours."

Cairo furrowed her eyebrows and squinted at the path he'd jogged down.