seis

THE ROYAL MINT OF SPAIN
MADRID

Cairo woke up with a sharp pain digging into the side of her head.

"Hey," a voice whispered from above her. "Hey! Cairo? Can you hear me?"

She groaned, reaching up to feel her scalp, finding that a small bump was forming underneath her thick dark hair.

"Why does it feel like someone's smacked a hammer into my brain?" She moaned, resting her head back onto the hard floor.

Rio tentatively reached forward to prod at her injury only for her to almost snap her own neck in an effort to escape his invading hands.

"C'mon, Cairo," Rio muttered, wincing at the pain caused by his own injuries. "Need to see if it's bleeding."

Cairo groaned and allowed the boy to poke around at her scalp for a minute, yelling slightly every time he brushed over her growing bruise.

"Fucking Berlin," she whined as her memories began to clear up. "Who does he think he is? The second coming of Christ?"

"Apparently." A smile smile formed on Rio's face as he began to help her up. "Thank you."

"What for?" Cairo frowned in confusion.

"For sticking up for me," Rio smiled. "For getting knocked out to try and help me out."

"Well I wasn't just going to let Thing One and Thing Two beat you to a pulp, Rio. That's not what friends do," she squeezed his hand before standing up and stretching her limbs out. "Fuck! What the hell did they do to you?"

Rio groaned, lifted up the edge of his shirt to reveal several red and purple marks covering his chest.

"I'll be fine," he grunted through clenched teeth. "I've had worse."

Cairo gave him a concerned look before looking down at herself in confusion.

"You wouldn't happen to know where I left my shirt and my gun, would you?"

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸

Roma's eyes almost rolled into the back of his head as he took a bite of the hot pizza that had been delivered right to their doorstep.

"I don't think food has ever tasted this good," Nairobi grinned at him, mouth stuffed with crust.

"Hey, didn't your mother ever tell you not to chew with your mouth open?" He smiled cheekily back at her.

Nairobi hit him with the pizza box she was holding before she passed it down to the next group of hostages.

Just as Roma began to head back down to pick up another stack of boxes to pass along his row, a gunshot echoed through the room.

"The fuck was that?" Nairobi yelled, racing towards the stairs that Tokyo had raced up moments before.

Roma followed her, stopping only to catch Rio from dropping to the ground as he clutched at his torso with a pained expression on his face.

"Hey, man," he looked down at Rio in confusion. "You doing ok?"

Before he could reply another gunshot rang out and Roma raced up the stairs, Rio following behind at a much slower pace.