cuatro

THE ROYAL MINT
MADRID

Cairo stood at Helsinki's side in the atrium, her gun held tightly in her steady hands. The initial shock at the dark reality around her had worn off and now she knew exactly what she was doing; in regards to the plan, at least.

As Berlin delivered his intrusions to the crowd she glanced to her left. Roma stood tall, holdings his own gun so tightly his knuckles were turning white. His eyes never left the back of Berlin's red jumpsuit.

She turned her attention back to the group of hostages and began to hand out the jumpsuits that everyone had been ordered to change into in order to make it impossible for the police to differentiate between attacker and attackee.

"Sorry sweetie," she smiled sympathetically at the student with magenta hair. "I know red and pink clash but I'm sure you can make it work."

The girl stared up at her with terrified eyes and shaking hands.

"Come on," Cairo pushed the jumpsuit into her arms. "Don't look at me like you're Bambi or some shit like that. I'm asking you to change your clothes, not to kill your mother."

All of a sudden the whole room gasped with fear and Cairo swivelled around expecting to see Berlin with his arms around some other poor woman only to find Denver with his pistol pointer straight at Arturo Roman.

"Take the gun," the man said with misplaced calmness. "I'm ordering you to take the gun. Take the gun - good - and now point it at me."

Knowing it was a fake gun, Cairo turned back around, exasperation evident on her face. She sighed dramatically and looked back down at the pink haired girl, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth.

"Boys will be boys, I suppose," she winked, only for the girl to cower in fear. "My brother and I used to play with guns too when we were younger. Only they were real guns."

As she spoke, Arturo finally pulled the trigger only to look at the gun in shock as nothing was fired.

"Ah!" Cairo grinned wickedly as she moved onto the last person in her designated line. "Valerio, my dear old friend!"

The boy who could have only been two years younger than her blinked and pushed his hair out of his eyes, taking the jumpsuit without complaints.

"How have you been?" She asked. "They've been treating you well, I hope. I know Denver can be a little callous...but he means well. Honest!"

"Fine," the boy whispered, glancing behind her nervously. "I've just been sitting here for hours."

"Well that's all you need to do at the moment," Cairo giggled. "Excellent work, Vale."

Too immersed in her teasing - which amused her enough to almost completely forget she was in the middle of an incredibly dangerous heist - she failed to notice the presence directly behind her which was no doubt the cause for Valerio's increasingly worried stare.

"Vale, eh?" Roma stared at the boy with a blank stare. "Get back to work, Cairo. I'm sure Vale here is old enough to change by himself. You're what? 15?"

"I'm 18 next week."

"Ah, almost a man then," Roma pushes past Cairo to stand directly in front of the younger boy. "But still a boy. Get changed."