siete

THE ROYAL MINT OF SPAIN
MADRID

Monica and Cairo sat across from each other in the spartan looking vault. The blonde woman was back against the shelves behind her, clutching at her bandages leg whereas the dark haired girl rested her chin on her knees, slowly massaging her temples.

"Can't you get some ice or something?" Monica asked in a small voice in attempt to distract herself from her throbbing thigh.

Cairo opened one eye to look at her companion. Straightening up she blew a loose strand of hair off of her face.

"Berlin has all the medical equipment in his office," she explained. "He's not my biggest fan right now. Not to mention that he thinks you're dead."

"If you don't mind me asking," Monica looked up at her through her eyelashes. "How old are you? I just mean that you look a lot you get than the others..."

"It's ok, Monica," Cairo giggled at the woman's caution. "I don't mind. I'm turned twenty three months ago."

"When I was twenty I still lived with my mother and couldn't cook my own dinner or figure out how to pay my taxes," Monica smiled sweetly.

"Well, I do like to cook," Cairo smiled cheekily despite the piercing pain in her head. "But I've never payed any taxes. Do you mind if I ask you a question?"

"Well I suppose it's only fair," Monica winced as she accidentally brushed over her wound with her finger.

"Who's the daddy?"

Monica looked down in what could only be interpreted as embarrassment and it took her a few tried to form a coherent sentence.

"Promise you won't judge me too badly?"

"I'm a twenty year old participating in a heist in the royal mint of Spain, Monica. I'm in no place to judge."

"Ok, well you know the director of the bank-"

"You mean Arturito is the baby daddy?" Cairo raised an eyebrow. "But Monica! You're so pretty and sweet. I mean look; you're chatting to me after we put a bullet in your leg. And he's so...well he's so blegh."

Monica blushed and looked down at her blood stained hands.

"No; I mean- I'm just Monica the secretary. And he's Arturo Roman; director of the royal mint of Spain."

"That's doesn't mean shit," Cairo kissed her teeth. "My mother was a criminal and my father was a well put together business man and she was twice the man - well, woman - that he was. And I'm guessing Arturo didn't take the news of his new child very well, did he?"

"He doesn't want anything to do with it," Monica whispered sadly. "He has a wife and children."

"Well then he shouldn't have whipped his dick out in the first place," Cairo groaned. "I swear to God, men give me such a headache."

Monica gave the girl a small smile, relaxing slightly as she began to feel more comfortable. Sure, this young woman had an M-16 strapped to her arm, but she had yet to see prepare to shoot it at anyone unlike the majority of the rest of the team.