once

LA CASA DE TOLEDO
THE NIGHT OF THE CARNIVAL

"Dude, I don't want to overdo it on the lips," Nairobi said, staring at herself in the mirror, lipstick in hand. "Maybe I went a little too slutty, what do you think, ladies?"

Cairo raised an eyebrow at Tokyo who'd gone full 'manga-chick' with a pair of pigtails and an incredibly short pvc skirt that resembled angel wings.

"Comparatively, I think you're fine," she teased, wrapping an arm around Tokyo's shoulders. The older woman scoffed and eyed her up.

"Like you can chat," Tokyo grinned at her. "If I look like a slut, you do too. That's the point anyway. We're going to a festival so we're going with festival-slut style."

Cairo giggled uncontrollably, smoke pouring out of her mouth, before lifting her joint back to her lips.

She had to admit that Tokyo was right.

She'd gone all out for their night out to the carnival. Her hair was tied up into a pair of space buns and she wore tight neon yellow tracksuit bottoms that unbuttoned at the sides to reveal her legs all the way up to her thighs. A matching cropped jacket lay open to reveal a tiny white bralette covered in the layers of gold chains she'd draped around her neck.

For the first time in a long time, Cairo felt like Irene Cesari again. When she'd been living in Spain with her father, she'd been Irene Santiago: a recluse, depressed teenager mourning the death of her mother. When her father had died she'd become Cesari: a bored, money-hungry young woman with a slight addiction to robbing high-security safes. As Cairo she'd become a determined woman set on setting her brother free.

But now she felt as if she were back in Rome; back in Ostia with Leo and their friends, attending beach parties and raves every other night without a care in the world.

"Let's go party!"

All three women turned to shush Rio as he stumbled into the room with a wild grin on his face.

"El Profesor's keys?" Tokyo asked.

"Right here," Rio whispered dramatically. Nairobi leaped forward with a grin to snatch the keys away. He suddenly started coughing as Cairo blew more smoke directly into his face. "Fucks sake, Cairo! I think there's more weed than oxygen in the air."

She grinned lazily and threw herself back onto the bed with a groan, giggling as Rio put on his sunglasses.

"Where are Denver and Roma?" Nairobi asked, trying on various earrings.