nueve

THE ROYAL MINT OF SPAIN
MADRID

Roma stood beside Rio in the atrium, watching Berlin taunt Arturo who was sprawled out on a table as he whimpered in pain.

If he was being honest, he didn't feel much sympathy for the man who'd attempted to thwart their plan several times by trying to play the hero. Hopefully this incident would shut him up for good.

He nodded at Denver as the man barreled into the room, before cocking his head to the side in confusion as Cairo was nowhere to be seen.

"...and there's times when I wonder what you saw in me, Monica."

Roma buried his head in Rio's shoulder to muffle his laughter as the injured man attempted to correct his mistake, only to make matters worse for himself.

"The balls on you, Arturo," Berlin chuckled. "Your secretary...with a child on the way...Laura waiting for you in a 4x4 with the kids...and you're surrounded by cash; you're a legend."

Berlin turned around to face Denver, still smiling.

"And where is our lovely nurse?" He asked.

"She says she's not coming," Denver shuffled uncomfortably under Berlin's piercing glare. "Says she's not moving until someone gets her an aspirin...or something stronger."

Roma frowned, eyeing Berlin with a look of distaste.

"She does enjoy being so dramatic," Berlin sighed (dramatically). "You go and tell her that she's being paid well. Women can be such divas -"

"There's no time," Nairobi interrupted with a sharp glare aimed straight at Berlin. "And no point; the doctors are here now."

No matter what he wanted to shout at Berlin or ask Denver, Roma pulled his mask over his face to ensure that his identity would remain hidden and walked with Rio to bring in the doctors.

***

33 HOURS INTO THE HEIST

Cairo popped another of those questionable painkillers she'd found in Denver's bag. She, Moscow and Monica were waiting for Denver to return with medical equipment and time was ticking.

"What's it like?" Monica asked weakly, looking up at Moscow. "Being a parent, I mean?"

"Being a parent..." Moscow looked around, searching for the right words. "Being a parent is like having problem after problem dropping on top of you. It's like being worried for the rest of your life. You're in hospitals all the time, no more pubs-"

"You're really selling this to her," Cairo teased.

"It's fine; I don't drink," Monica laughed quietly.