The Bet

As I entered the land of the living once again, I watched everyone remember their loved ones. I smiled lightly as I knew people cared for them, I walked right behind my sister, as Xibalba blew out the candles on someone's grave. My sister lit them back up, as I left a rose on the gravestone in tribute of their family. I laughed lightly as the man looked at his wine before pouring it out. My sister chuckled at that as well. I heard them chat and Xibalba said 'another wager' and that struck my fancy. I knew my dear sister was a gambler but still, it's nice to know what wager they're playing at.

They went to the top of one of the buildings nearby as I followed. Xibalba said "Time to check out the menu." I looked down at the three kids, and Xibalba and my sister followed my gaze. "Ah, classic mortal dilemma two boys best friends no doubt-"

"In love with the same girl." I watched them play out, the two boys fighting over her, as she says, "I belong to no one." That gave me...hope. I smiled lightly as Xibalba said "Looks like we found our wager, which boy will marry her." My sister agreed, "Wait." I said making them look to me, "I would like to join this bet." My sister was happy and about to say something when Xibalba cut her off, "Sadly there are only two sides to this, Marco. Sorry, maybe next time." I smirked and crossed my arms, "Ok Xibalba, but even if there are two sides that are taken, why not neither. I bet the girl wouldn't marry either of the boys." I smiled, as Xibalba growled, "Fine."

My sister and him went to calm their 'champions', I let one of my crows go and watch my sister as I sat on the edge of the building. My crow soon found the boy 'Manolo' and perched upon another tomb, watching how they loved their family. I saw my sister as she claimed 'Manolo' as her champion. I kept watching as 'Manolo' seemed pure as my sister said, but to unknowing that pure can be stained even with a little or the simplest of things. I'll just have to help him stay 'pure' or at least help him out if needed to.

I went to my sister as we soon settled the terms, Xibalba gets to swap lands if he wins, my sister gets him to stop interfering with the mortals, and as for me...."I would like the mortals best left alone and out of your 'bets', Xibalba." I bet the same thing my sister did, both of our rules were the same. Xibalba didn't call off the bet, not even to our terms. We soon sealed the deal with handshakes, The bet was now on, the wager set, and all we have to do is wait. I knew this was the greatest wager in history or had to be at these terms. But I kept a few crows flying around watching the mortal kids as they played.

(next day)

I soon watched them with a laugh as they gave the townspeople a start when they rode pigs down the street and yelled, "Free the pigs." I'm glad they have free-spirits, life is dull if they don't. I noticed one of the bigger hogs heading straight towards the pair, Joaquin got hit but didn't look hurt, as Manolo soon was fighting the hog without fear with a red scarf. I saw his movement and it was perfect. I knew that movement anywhere, only a talented soul could pull it off. I knew he was a Sanchez but still I enjoy a little bull fighting more than the next mortal.

In the end I applaud him, even if he could not hear nor see me. I found out that even he seems overlooked, as the chief didn't care about what he did, but of Joaquin. I felt a little sad for him, but his father saw him and was proud of him. Well at least he has his Father in the end. I decided to send out one of my ravens to lay a red, (for courage and respect) a white, (for purity, innocence, youthfulness, and sympathy) an orange, (for Enthusiasm and creativity) roses on his bed for what he accomplished today.

I overheard the news of Maria leaving, Manolo and Joaquin said their goodbyes at the station, I felt bad for them as they were separated not just from Maria but to each other as well. Manolo went to train to bullfight as Joaquin to train to be a warrior. I kept watch over Manolo most, as my crows and ravens kept watch over Maria and Manolo when I didn't have time to.

I knew the story had just begun with the three of them.