The Death Crow

I felt my heart snap, I didn't know why because we were friends I would say but it sounded like I'm leaving something out. I didn't have time to think about this but about Manolo, I sent a few crows to report back. I wandered through the halls of the castle to keep myself busy, as my ravens kept watch on Manolo.

My crow found Manolo with his father and grandmother, "If you love Maria, fight for her, like a man." Manolo sighed, "It's too late Joaquin proposed to her already." Manolo said sadly, "Now that's a real man." His father said back, I chuckled at that, I saw through the ravens eyes as I noticed Manolo's state, I chuckled even more as his grandma threw something at Carlos. "Quite Carlos! Now if Maria didn't say yes to Joaquin she says no." She had gotten Manolo on track as his father asked, "Now what are you going to do about it?" I saw Manolo kiss his grandma's cheek and left in a hurry, "I'll try Cuervo, I promised." I heard those words and knew he had a plan. I saw a sad look on his face though, wondering what he could be thinking. "Where are you? Cuervo." He said softly under his breath but I still picked it up as the raven kept tabs on him, 'Oh Manolo, I'd wish you could stop worrying about me.'

It was soon dark as my ravens exchanged it's shift to the crows, Manolo was on a street lamp telling and asking her to be by the tree on the outskirts of the city. Manolo hopped to it going to the tree, my crow saw Xibalba out in the shadows. My crow landed overhead to hear him, "If she meets him alone I'll lose the wager," He tapped his snake staff on the ground, "Fix this for me, old friend." those two snakes I now hate the most as the crow slipped away unknowingly to Xibalba, My crow rounded back to Maria and followed.

Dang Manolo, you differently got the candle idea on a roll here, he was playing his guitar as Maria kept walking and my crow landed on one of the tree's branches and kept watch. The sun was coming up over the horizon, geez he knows how to set a mood, I saw that rose and I left him stuck between the strings of guitar near the top. even with my little advice I gave him. I just shrugged it off. "This is what I wanted to show you." He motioned to the city in the sunrise's light, I had seen it before but Maria could only say, "It's so beautiful."

"What you're feeling is how I feel every time I'm with you. I can't offer a ring and have nothing to give but my love." Dang, you have a way with words they left Maria stunned, "Manolo." Is all that she could say, "I may not be the town's hero Maria but I swear with all my heart I will never stop loving you." Manolo said, as Maria said back, "I will never stop caring for the man who plays from the heart, but Manolo I only care for you as a friend. I wish you could only see that and still be one." I had to cry at this moment Manolo looked a bit shocked, but I had to say he took it well and explained he would be a friend. 'Friend Zoned'. "Well Maria I only wanted to try and after this I can kind of take it as a relief no offence." He explained, Maria giggled, "I knew there had to be someone in your life after all you were a bit distant." Maria explained, "Thanks for your understanding, I promised I would try anyway though." Manolo explained with a smile.

I then noticed that snake, as my crow dived for it and threw it away a bit. It hissed and my crow hissed back, The snake soon lunged at the crow but swatted it away with its wing but it's fangs still scraped the wing as blood was trickling out. The snake lunged again but the crow couldn't swat it away fast enough as the snake soon coiled around the crow and they fell into the water. The snake soon slithered up from the water and quickly lunged for Manolo only to bite Maria as she stepped in front of him.

The crow was back on land coughing out the water as I saw Maria fall, she was bitten. I felt like I failed and I have. I couldn't keep your bet Sister dear. My crow collapsed as Manolo on the ground as it watched the display of sadness. Manolo looked again liked a kicked puppy but ten times worse, as he cried out for help. It was soon raining as if the heaven itself were crying out for this, the candles were extinguished. Manolo brought Maria to Joaquin who arrived upon the scene from the screaming.

"What did you do Manolo?" Joaquin asked as Manolo explained there was a snake. "She's gone, WHY DIDN'T YOU PROTECT HER!" Joaquin roared out at Manolo, as Maria's father stepped in. "This is all you're doing, flee or so help me I-" He stopped there and turned as his grief sunk in, "It should have been me." Manolo said as Joaquin said his agreement. they walked away as Manolo looked up to the storm filled sky. Manolo went back to retrieve his guitar underneath the tree, "I will never see her again." Manolo muttered and fell to his knees. "Are you certain?" the man asked, "You want to see Maria again? but what about Cuervo? he died last night." The man said as Manolo looked back in shock, "What? Cuervo?" Manolo was taking deep breaths now, "No one-"

"What told you? they didn't care like you do. So do you want to see them again?" the man asked as Manolo answered, "With all my heart." He looked down onto the guitar with what Maria scratched into it and the rose. "Think about what you say boy." Xibalba revealed himself to be his true self, standing over Manolo like he did with me, I got my crow to run into Xibalba's head. "Damn it Marco! let him decide." He cursed under his breath as he swatted the crow away, The crow soon was on the ground but this time ran into Manolo to stop his words by running into his head. The crow was soon on the ground once more but had had enough, as it was staring up to Manolo as if saying 'no, stop'. Manolo didn't listen as he saw the rose I left him, Manolo picked up the crow, and said the words that he would soon regret. "With. all. my. heart."

"Done." Xibalba said his two headed snake soon bit Manolo as he clenched his teeth and said softly, "Cuervo." The crow has been poisoned and his job in the living has been done. Now both of them are falling into a deep sleep where they can't wake up from.

"I glanced back at the old oak tree,

Hoping that my eyes had tricked me.

It was no joke,

It was the Death Crow.

It had stared at me with its cold, dark eyes,

It pierced through my soul, and I looked to the sky.

And I shouted 'Is it really true, is it my time?

But of course the sky answered no reply.

The Death Crow darted without warning,

Leaving me no time for mourning.

My heart raced,

I awaited my fate.

But I opened my eyes,

To a surprise.

The Death Crow had took someone else's life,

not mine.

I still was not relieved, after all that had been done.

Because I knew that The Death Crow would be back,

And my time would come."

I sang for their deaths, as I might be able to see them in the next world. My true world. Oh Manolo.....my dear sweet Manolo. how long will your foolishness last, I now know where your heart is but I can't take it.

If you found out the truth you wouldn't be able to take it, nor your heart.