Don't Kill The Messenger

My crow has woken up and Manolo who still carries him, Manolo looks at his hand before turning around to see the land of the remembered. My crow flew from his hold and perched upon the tree's branch, It's skeleton had a cloak of black feathers and it's skull painted. (like the pic above but it's feet are white.) Manolo couldn't form words upon seeing the colors and the endless party, he only smiled and laughed. The crow looked displeased, "I'm sorry friend but I just wanted to see them again, especially Cuervo. I just...needed to see him... and tell him... that...I want only him to hear..." Manolo said softly, the crow looked curious now and cawed back alright.

"Welcome to the of the remembered! and on the day of the dead no less. now you might be a bit disoriented at first. but don't try and take it all in at once. let's start with your name." The policeman said, "Maria and Cuervo! '' Manolo rushed. "Parents and their crazy baby names. and there's no Maria Cuervo on the list." The man said, "no no, I'm looking for a Maria and Cuervo. My name is Manolo Sanchez." Manolo explained, the man gasped and said, "Another Sanchez! man that family keeps growing." The man then wrote something down, "My family might be able to help me find them, can you take me to my family?" Manolo asked, "I would want nothing more than to reunite young friends. hang on." The man said as Manolo got on his horse and they went down the long road. The crow soon dived from the tree and perched on Manolo's shoulders.

They kept going even after his honey bun showed up, "There your family is in that one." The man pointed out, Manolo was wowed, the crow jumped off the shoulder and down as the man hit him and said "Get in there." Manolo was screaming a bit as the crow landed on a string of flags and cawed at him, to where Manolo grabbed it and went flying off, with the crow in pursuit.

Manolo was caught by his family member Carmelo, "Oh yeah another Sanchez bullfighter!" he said as Manolo was like a kid in a candy store. "Can you help me find my friends?" Manolo asked, "La Muerte can help you; she helps everyone. hold on." Carmelo said, dodging a bull piñata that hit Manolo as he fell to the next parade float, Jorge Sanchez. "Your Manolo the one who plays the guitar?" Jorge asked, "That's me." Manolo replied, "You know, I always dreamed of singing in the opera." Jorge said longingly, "You did?" Manolo asked, "But as you know Music is not fit worthy of a Sanchez bullfighter." They said together, "The same story." Jorge said, "Ya they crushed our dreams, hilarious ." Manolo said before Carmelo landed on the float and Manolo flew towards another one. "He's new." Carmelo said, "He reminds me of me. helpless handsome." Jorge said to Carmelo.

Manolo flew a little too high as the crow was in his face, and watched him fall as the crow kept watch of him. "Grandpa it's me Manolo." He said to Luis, who looked proud at first but, "Manolo?" Slap. Luis slapped him and continued, "Why did you disgrace the family name? Playing the guitar, you couldn't finish one bull?! You are a clown." Luis finished and said sorry to the cousin. "Welcome home, your mother will be very happy to see you." Luis said pointing to a float, as Manolo climbed it and found his mother on top. "Manolo?" Carmen said as Manolo ran to hug her, "I missed you so much." Manolo said they had their moment but Carmen wanted an answer of why he is here.

"I'm here to be reunited with the love of my life, you're going to love Cuervo, ma-ma." Manolo said, wait did he just say...no...really?!..he actually does love....me? I heard Carmen introduce the family to Manolo, "And there are the Scardelita cousins, they fought in the revolution." Carmen introduced, "And we won. " They said in sync. "And this is La Muerte's castle, come she will help find my new daughter in law." Carmen said as they began entering. "Um, Ma-ma I...Well..." Manolo started, "What? spit it out?" Carmen pushed, "Cuervo isn't actually a...girl." Manolo had to force that last word out, as Carmen stopped and narrowed her eyes. "Wait? You mean,..." Carmen smiled, "Guess you get that from my side of the family."

"What?" Manolo asked, as they kept walking, "Manolo, some of my family members are...dating their own gender type, we're fine with your choice Manolo." Carmen explained, Manolo smiled and the rest of the Sanchez's agreed. They finally entered the castle, the crow followed over hearing how bullfighting and death got along and were favored. "Ask her Manolo." Carmen pushed Manolo, "My Lady could you help me find Cuervo?" Manolo asked.

"No one here can help you, bullfighter." Xibalba said showing his black wings. "The land of the remembered has a new ruler!" Xibalba said turning around and they looked stunned. "La Muerte would never hand over her domain to you." Luis said, "She lost a bet." Xibalba said after burping, or belching most like it. "Oh, she would do that." Luis said, "This land is finally mine, all thanks to you, Manolo." Xibalba said as Manolo looked shocked, Xibalba soon explained the bet they had, "But Maria passed away I saw it." Manolo said as he did not understand.

Manolo soon stood up to Xibalba saying cheater, that didn't put Xibalba in a good mood. "No one has ever in any realm talked to me like that, so I'll ask you boy, are you threatening me?" Xibalba said, going across the table to stand in front of Manolo. Manolo definitely threatened him, and Xibalba said there was no way to reach her, but I do. Xibalba soon flicked him back as Luis caught him. I have had it, the crow swooped down and flew around Xibalba cawing while doing so. "Marco!" Xibalba hissed, as the crow soon flown to me as I stepped out of the shadows.

"Remember Xibalba, your stay isn't permanent. not until Maria kisses Joaquin at the altar." I said walking closer to Xibalba, to where I was in front of him. "You betted Maria wouldn't marry either of them but she is Marrying Joaquin so I wonder why you are still here?" Xibalba said threatening, "Because she is putting her duty before her heart, and she could change her mind and run off from the wedding. I won't leave till everything is sealed and not called beforehand." I said back threatening as well.

"Well don't get comfy, Marco. I don't care if you are La Muerte's brother, you only co-own the land, with your sister ruling more than you, and the same thing when you have to own the land of the forgotten." Xibalba said, "I know you killed Cuervo just because he wouldn't do what you asked him, he died a true friend and not a traitor like you wanted him to be." I hissed, as Xibalba looked a bit surprised, that is till he looked at the two crows and a raven perched on my hat. "Your crows and ravens ruin everything, but... I'm still glad Manolo didn't get your hint from your now dead crow before he died, see ya. I have a wedding to plan." Xibalba said as he soon left, I just watched him go till I heard Manolo call my name, "Marco?"

I turned and looked at them, I brought a smile to my face as I knelt down. "Your La Muerte's brother?" Manolo asked, I still held up a smile, "Yes, I gave her more land to rule over while I plan the parties, the food, create the homes, etc. I only help her, we rule as a team but I give her more credit because she deserves it." I explained, "But what about you shouldn't you get some credit?" Manolo asked, "I do what I do not for acknowledge or a thank you, but so people are happy and that's all I really care about." I explained further.

"Like your crow?" Manolo muttered, My crow flew off to perch on Manolo's shoulder. "I'm sorry." Manolo said sadly, "Manolo there is life, there is death. but only time will tell which is which. My crow tried to stop the snake and you, and lost it's life, but his death is not in vain. For which he will be able to be happy with his family that's down here, as well as yours." I stood back up, "I know how we can get to the land of forgotten, and set things right. but are you willing to risk it though?" I asked, he only nodded.