Chapter Nine

AALIYAH

I was starting to come to as my eye fluttered open and I saw nothing but a dark early morning sky through a stained designed glass roof. I sensed a men's cologne I had grown to know him of.

Just to my guess, peeking now over me was Jace fanning my head and staring into my eyes.

"Morning sunshine." He said.

I tried lifting up before he held my back gently as I felt a rush of air flowing to my brain.

"What time is it?" I asked him.

"Roughly from when you passed out...5:15." He replied.

My eyes widened and looked shocked and surprised. "5:15?!"

"Hey, I said it first." He anwered. I looked at him in astonishment.

"Is what I think is happening, happening?" I asked breathlessly on a verge of a breakdown.

"If you think what is happening is that you and me got totally hammered last night, and had an amazing night together before you drunkenly went to sleep. You're wrong." He said.

"Jace!" I shouted. Now was far from the time to be messing around given our situation.

"Okay sorry I just act with a sense of sarcasm when I'm in a state of shock! But if you think that we got totally smashed and woke up late to catch our flight from here to Miami you're..." he trailed off. I stared to him cautiously as he sighed distressed.

"Right. We missed our flight Aaliyah." He finished. I shook my head.

This couldn't be happening. This couldn't. Out of all the worst things to happen, this was nothing I pictured getting mixed up in, especially not with Jace.

"Oh my god! Oh my god! I'm so gonna get fired!" I said getting up panicky.

He chuckled sarcastically and nodded.

"You? I had two infractions already! Two Aaliyah and now I'm gonna get a third one and it will be the worst one mind you! I'm definitely getting fired. So spare me your problem!" He then shouted. I looked at him surprised.

I had never seen him so distraught, worried, at a lost, and even...scared. It looked good on him. Made me see he could be real for even a little while.

"We have to get on a new flight! Right now before we're killed Jace!" I shouted.

He shook his head holding onto my shoulders gently as my whole body tensed up.

"No we can't! Look around you, we're airline employees not regular passengers. The minute we get that time stamp in our card if we book another flight, Evette will be made alert right away and we'll really be fired!" He told me.

"Then what are we suppose to do?! This is nuts!" I shouted the same way.

I was trying my best not to freak completely out. I ended up hyperventilating though. This was all too much to think about and figure out a plan. There had to be another way. If Jace was knocking down my idea, he better had a better one in 5 seconds or less or I'm gonna kick him in the nuts.

He stared out into space trying to ponder over everything as I was doing the same. Relying on him to be the one to spring on wise words and advice, was like asking a toddler to do my taxes.

"Maybe we can still do this." He said now breathless as I glanced at him mystified.

"What? How?!" I asked extremely unsure what would be his answer.

If we couldn't fly, we couldn't call Amber, Carson, or Hunter to fly back to get us, and there was no other way I had in mind to make this work.

It sucked that I had put my entire career, my entire life, and trained until I literally bled out with tears on the line, for this one trip only for it to bite me back because of my one drunken mistake.

Jace turned to me and stared at me carefully and nodded. "We've got to go under the radar. We've got to get from here to Miami...on foot." He finished.

I looked to him shocked, surprised, and completely taken aback. Did he really say on foot?!

"Excuse me?" I asked him to be clear. He smiled and stared at me now confidently.

"We're going to go on a road trip Miss Woods." He told me firmly.

I was frozen. "Jace! That's impossible!" I yelled.

"No it isn't! Look, we've got 16 hours to get there and we're already halfway through the journey so if we just find some people to get us to different cities within a certain amount of time, we'll be able to make our destination on time." He explained.

In theory it sounded amazing, but in reality the chances of that succeeding was 1 in 50 billion.

"Really?" I asked calmly before I just had to be honest. He nodded excitedly.

The next thing I knew, I just had to blow up. Even I didn't know how we could pull that off.

"Are you crazy?! What would make anyone want to help two strangers get to Miami?!" I asked, glaring to him annoyed.

His smile faded away. "What?! You were just happy a minute ago!" He fired back.

"Yeah, when I was considering to make you feel like you had a good idea! But I almost forgot, I didn't have to!" I screamed.

He sighed. I began to turn around and find a quiet place away from him so I could have time to really think of a plan. He quickly then rushed up behind me, grabbing my hand gently and turned me back around to him.

I could instantly feel that same spark of attraction whenever he touched me. I tried not thinking about it and having it brush off and stared to him carefully, as I found him suddenly doing so intensely and even...innocently.

"Look Aaliyah. I don't have a lot to go back to anymore if I lose this job. This is all I have that makes me someone who's actually special. And for you? I can see a bright, shining, kindhearted, and hardworking young woman. Do you really want to throw that all away for one simple mistake?" He asked.

I had never seen him so serious, convincing, and motivated. So if he was in this, I was too.

"Looks like we're doing the impossible Mr. Bennett." I said assertively. He smiled and nodded.