24

wednesday, june 17th

"DUDE LOOK AT JEONGIN! CAN YOU BELIEVE HE'S 20 NOW?! UGHH.." beck rambled, pointing to the boy on the tv.

"i know..right." i yawned, rubbing my eyes. beck elbowed me in the arm, going on about how i need to "stay awake." i ignored her and paid attention to the boys on the screen. their smiles were wide as chan violently attacked the vlive heart button. i giggled mindlessly, wondering how this guy likes me. all of a sudden, my doorbell rang causing beck to freeze.

"what if it's a kidnapper." she whispered, sinking into my couch.

i rolled my eyes, standing up from the couch. "yeah and they'd totally ring my doorbell before they plotted our abduction, right?" i scoffed, opening the door. my eyes widened, "eomma? what're you doing back from Korea?"

"we need to have a conversation, now." she spoke sternly, which caused my heart to drop to my fucking feet.

i swallowed the lump in my throat and spoke quietly. "about what..?"

her angry expression did not fade when she whipped out two pieces of paper from her coat pocket. "explain to me what this is." she said, slapping them into my hand. hesitantly, i opened the letter and read it slowly in my head. immediately, i began to grasp the situation.

To Mr. and Mrs. Ahn,

Date: June 6th, 2020

Patient: Ahn Jaehyun

On June 6th, patient Ahn Jaehyun was admitted to Lenox Hill Hospital and was treated for Tendinopathy. She was held for an overnight stay. Medication was also given as directed. Below, the charges are listed.

Balance due: $3,172.88

-
i stood in silence, my heart pumping out of my chest. "read the next one." my mother spoke lowly.

Congratulations to the class of 2020!

Dear Jaehyun,

Congratulations on graduating with honors! You should be very proud of your accomplishments. I hope to see you back sometime soon as apart of our dance alumni! Who knows, maybe you'll be teaching here yourself one day. Please keep in touch if you get any gigs, I'd love to come.

Sincerely,

Hailey Nathaniels
Choreographer and Dance teacher of Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music and Performing Arts

-
"mom- i can explain!" i panicked, handing the letters back to her.

she snatched them out of my hands, raising her voice. "explain what? the fact that you cost me and your father $3000 because of your stupid acts or that you've been LYING to me the past four years?"

"i- i'll pay you back okay? all of it it's yours!" i spewed, breath becoming staggered.

"damn right it's mine! and you're coming back to korea with me." my mother spat, grabbing my hand and dragging me to my bedroom.

"but eomma i don't want to go! i didn't do anything wrong!" i exclaimed, attempting to pull my hand away from her. "let go of me right now." i could see beck watching from afar, making sure my mother didn't notice her.

"pack your things, flight leaves in an hour." she huffed, slamming my bedroom door.

"no." 

"i'm sorry?"

"i said no. i'm an adult, you can't control me." i spoke with as much confidence as i could muster.

she reached into my closet and grabbed a black suitcase. "obviously you need some control. plus, you owe me AND your father money. you're coming back whether you like it or not."

"please mom can't we talk about this? i mean..my whole life is here!" i pleaded, tears threatening to spill from my eyes.

"we'll talk about it with your oppa..in korea. now let's go, pack."

-