Chapter 9

Rose's POV

"Come on Rose, I want details! How was your birthday?" Lissa exclaimed. Adrian, Lissa, Eddie and I were hanging out at Lissa's place while Dimitri and Christian were out somewhere together. Eddie, Dimitri and I had a meeting scheduled for later this afternoon so we had been killing time with our friends until then.

"Ugh, I really don't fancy hearing the details of Rose's sex life thank you very much." Adrian groaned from the armchair at the side of the room, rolling his eyes in a mixture of frustration and disgust.

"I had a lovely time," I told Lissa, despite Adrian's complaining. Although we were at a good place in our friendship, I didn't feel that it was fair to discuss the intimate details of mine and Dimitri's relationship in front of him. I shot her a look that said 'we'll talk later' when I saw the disappointment in her eyes at the realisation she wasn't going to get any details.

In all honesty, my birthday had been amazing. It was exactly what I had wanted – a quiet night in with the love of my life, a home cooked meal and some very, very good sex. I had woken up this morning with a huge grin on my face as I found myself wrapped tightly in Dimitri's arms. It was a huge difference to how I was waking a few weeks ago – alone and unhappy – so I was not taking waking up next to Dimitri for granted anymore. He was, without a doubt, my happy place.

We continued talking aimlessly together for a little longer, all the while Adrian moaning at me because I still hadn't replaced the plant I threw up in after mine and Dimitri's argument. I was still under the belief that it was his fault, so there was no way I was buying him a new one, much to Adrian's annoyance. A short while later, the front door opened and Christian entered, greeting us all with a hello and a smile. I had expected Dimitri to walk in behind him, but Christian closed the door before anyone else entered. He was on his own.

"Dimitri's not with you?" I asked.

"Nah, he walked with me back here and then said he had something to do," Christian informed me with a shrug of his shoulders. "Before you ask, no, he didn't tell me what it was that he needed to do," he added, moving to sit beside Lissa and planting a light kiss on her cheek.

Dimitri had told me this morning that he would meet me at Lissa's and we would walk to the guardian meeting together, so I was confused as to why the plan had suddenly changed. I took out my phone and shot him a quick text to check that he was okay. A few minutes later my phone buzzed with his reply:

'All good. Just wanted to do some research before the meeting. X'

'Alright Comrade. See you at the meeting? X' I replied, before returning to the conversation in front of me.

***

As it neared the time of the meeting, Eddie and I excused ourselves and made our way to the meeting together.

"Hey Eddie, I'm going to find Dimitri quickly. I'll see you in there okay?" I told him as we got closer to our destination. He simply nodded and told me that he would see me later. Dimitri hadn't replied to my last message so I needed to check he was okay before going to the meeting.

I pushed through the doors of the guardian headquarters and made my way to the records room where I found Dimitri sat at a computer, hunched over a file with his hands tangled in his hair. He didn't even look up when I entered the room so I knew whatever he was looking at had completely engrossed him.

"Dimitri?" I questioned as I began walking over to him.

He finally looked up from the file on the desk, closing it quickly when he saw me walking up to him. "Hello, Roza," he greeted me as he placed the file in his bag, "what are you doing here?"