Chapter 13

3rd Person POV

"What the fuck is this?"

Rose saw red as she kicked the sofa, both in frustration and to wake Dimitri up from where he slept. At the loud and unexpected disturbance, he startled awake, almost jumping out of his skin as he sat up straight on the sofa. He blinked a couple of times, looking around at his surroundings in an attempt to work out what was happening.

"Rose?" he mumbled, as he laid his eyes on the woman standing in front of him. "What – what's going on?"

"I said, what the fuck is this?"

He lowered his eyes to the artefact in her hands, a feeling of dread overwhelming his body as he recognised what she was holding – Nathan's file. After the pair had argued previously in the evening and Rose had stormed out, Dimitri had needed something to do to occupy his mind while he waited for her to return. He had decided to look over the file he had been compiling, reading over his notes on the sofa until the stress of the day had finally taken its toll and he had fallen asleep, leaving the file discarded on the floor for anyone to come by and read.

Unfortunately, that 'anyone' had been Rose.

And she was pissed.

"Roza, I –" he began, before Rose cut him off.

"Nuh-uh, don't you dare 'Roza' me," she glared at him ferociously before throwing the file down onto the coffee table and pointing an angry finger in his direction. "You lost that privilege when you lied to me!"

Dimitri couldn't help but recoil slightly at her words. "I'm sorry, Roz – Rose, it wasn't my intention to lie to you, I just didn't want to worry you."

"Worry me?" She scoffed. "I've been worried for weeks Dimitri; I've been worried about you and what's been on your mind! I had no idea it was something like this! Why the fuck would you keep this from me?"

Dimitri felt a pain in his chest at the sight of Rose's angry expression – her eyes, which usually showed love and adoration, had a look of intense fire and rage. He stood up from the sofa, reaching out towards her in an effort to console her, but she slapped his hand away before folding her arms tightly across her chest and taking a step back from him.

"Explain," she commanded. "Now."

Dimitri sighed heavily, running a hand through his loose hair as he looked down at the ground. He wished he had told her weeks ago about the situation, but he had felt too overprotective to do so. Now he was in such a mess.

"Okay, Rose, I will - just please, will you sit down so that we can talk?"

"I'm good here, actually," she informed him, and he could swear he saw her take another slight step back away from him. She really was livid with him.

Dimitri sighed again, sinking down to perch on the edge of the coffee table before picking up the discarded file and holding it in his hands.

"I got the first one just before your birthday – about two or three weeks, I think. A letter, I mean. He spoke about wanting to do these sick and twisted things to you – he wanted to 'make you his'," his shoulders tensed as he remembered Nathan's words. "And I was angry, but I also didn't think it was really him - I thought I had killed him in Russia. After Galina, I turned on him and I swear he was dead when I left, so I thought it was some sick joke. You know how some people still act around me."

Rose nodded, but let him continue.

"And then when I got another one, I realised the threat was real. Nathan was alive and he was coming for you. It was your birthday and along with my letter, he sent you a card."