Chapter 38

Epilogue

Third Person POV – 3 months later.

A faint rustling behind her had Rose awake in an instant and instinctively tensing in fear. She gripped the soft duvet tightly in her fists, bracing herself, until she was met with the familiar sound of Dimitri mumbling to himself in his native language as he went about his morning. Immediately, her brief fear and anxiety diminished, replaced with contentment and safety once her mind and body recalibrated.

Three months on from Nathan's death, it wasn't often that Rose woke up frightened. Only on the rare occasion did it take a minute to register where she was, and she would wake in a panic, anticipating his cold touch.

But she was home, she wasn't there. They had killed him, and she was safe.

With a small stretch, she rolled over in the bed, facing towards the centre of the bedroom. Having just dressed himself and tied his dark hair back to the nape of his neck, Dimitri turned back towards the love of his life laying content in their bed. A wide grin crept onto his face, a natural instinct whenever faced with Rose's beauty. He thought Rose never looked more beautiful than when she had just woken up, her thick hair all tousled across the pillows and eyes sparkling from their rest - although Rose would adamantly disagree.

"Good morning Roza," Dimitri greeted, walking over to the bed and squatting down so the pair were face to face.

"Morning, Comrade," Rose replied sleepily, before their lips met in a gentle kiss. "Why are you dressed? Where are you going?"

"Christian asked if I'd help him train a new group of Moroi today," he explained, reaching out and brushing her wild hair away from her face.

Despite everything that had happened over the recent months, the campaign for Moroi to fight alongside their guardians had managed to continue, ultimately resulting in favour of the Moroi using their magic if they wish to do so. This meant that wave after wave of new Moroi needed to be trained in using offensive and defensive magic, and with Christian leading the training, Dimitri found himself working more often than usual.

Frowning deeply, Rose huffed.

"But it's our day off!"

"I know Roza, I'm sorry," Dimitri apologised, knowing Rose valued their time off together immensely. But today was no normal day, and Dimitri had a lot of work to do to prepare. "I'll see you later though, and it'll be worth it, I promise."

"What will?" Rose asked, growing confused at Dimitri's words. Honestly, there was no doubting that Dimitri and Yeva were related, considering how cryptic he could be sometimes.

Ignoring her questions, Dimitri leant back on his heels and pushed himself to stand at full height, turning to look for his shoes.

"What are you going to do today?" He asked nonchalantly, hoping to distract Rose from the disappointment of their lost day off.

"Hmm, not sure," Rose sighed, propping herself up in the bed and leaning back against the pillows. A cheeky grin found its way onto her face. "I had planned to spend the day in bed with you, but..." she added, seductively.

Dimitri chuckled and rolled his eyes, knowing Rose was only trying to entice him back into bed so that he wouldn't leave for the day. Finding his shoes, he slipped them on before grabbing his leather duster off the hook on the wall.

"I might go to the gym and work out later, I suppose," Rose said, realising her attempts were a lost cause.

"That's good. You should go earlier rather than later though, I remember seeing that the gym is booked for something later."