chapter twenty six

CHAPTER TWENTY SIXcan you imagine?

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX
can you imagine?

disclaimer - talks of sexual assault, suicide and gun violence

Jail was like the worst place for Natalie, despite only spending less than a day there. Her parents bailed her out within a few days and she was released. All charges ended up being dropped against her but the arrest would remain on her record. Justin wasn't so lucky - he ended up with 6 months probation and he was still in jail. Natalie was meeting everyday with Lainie on a way to get him out but no such luck.

-

"It truly hurts me to think that my actions have caused anyone emotional distress. When I think of the pain I may have caused, I just, well I feel awful. Everyday, I wish that I could go back in time. I was used to a certain culture of partying and hook ups and many of us never questioned it. But it is time to question it. And I know that I need to be the one to set an example. I'm trying everyday to be a better man. To be the man that my parents raised me to be, to be the big brother that my little sister deserves. And to be a positive influence at Liberty High. It is my sincere at hope that you will allow me to do so. Thank you, sir." Bryce says as he steps away.

"Does the county accept the allocation?" The judge asks.

"We do, Your Honor." The lawyer responded. "Prior to sentencing, the victim would like to exercise her right to make her own statement." Jessica's lawyer says and Natalie nods with a smile up at Jessica.

"Proceed."

"Your Honor, thank you for this opportunity to address the court. If it's all right, for the first part of my statement, I'd like to address the defendant directly. The first weekend of September, my parents were out of town and my little brothers were at their grandparents. My best friend, Natalie was turning 17 in a two weeks so we wanted to host a party together to celebrate her. I thought that's what a popular cheerleader should do. My boyfriend was there. Your friend, Justin. We had been drinking. We decided to go up to my room. I remember making out with him and then I started to fall asleep. I remember thinking that I just needed to close my eyes for a little bit. Then he walked out of the room. I remember waking up to you pulling off my underwear. I remember feeling you push yourself inside of me. I may not remember all the details but I will never forget the sheer terror I felt feeling your weight on top of me. Of not being able to breath. Your Honor, when we leave this courtroom, Bryce Walker gets to leave convinced he chose the wrong girl to have sex with. I have to leave constantly looking over my shoulder for monsters dressed up as the popular boy constantly on edge and assuming the worst in every boy. The sentence you decide today can tell Bryce Walker that what he did was wrong. It can say that to every boy, every man who behaves like he does. And it can say to victims like me that our story matters. Thank you." Jessica says as she turns around. Natalie had her head buried in her hands with her mother's arm on her back. She knew Bryce wasn't gonna get what he deserved but she prayed to God he would.