chapter thirty four

CHAPTER THIRTY FOURneedyTRIGGER WARNINGS : mention of sexual assault and mental health

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR
needy
TRIGGER WARNINGS : mention of sexual assault and mental health.

-

Before school, Natalie was asked by her mother to join in on a meeting with Mr. Porter who had been doing his best to help Bryce in the last few months. "Good Morning" Natalie smiled slightly as the two Walker girls sat down across from the former counselor.

"Thank you both for coming to meet me. I thought it was safer than the house." Mr. Porter sighs.

"What do you mean 'safer'?" Nora raises an eyebrow.

"I have an appointment with Sheriff Diaz this morning." Mr. Porter says before looking around, Nora and Natalie both give a nod in return. "They want me to come in on background. And I wanted you to be aware so that you didn't think, well that you knew that, what occurred between me and your family, I won't say a thing about that."

"That would be helpful. Thank you." Nora looks at the table as Mr. Porter began to notice her uneasiness.

"They're looking at Clay Jensen." Natalie says, crossing her arms and leaning back with the chair.

"They are?" Mr. Porter squints, turning his glance to Natalie. "Wow."

"He always hated Bryce." Nora shook her head. "Threatened him on more than one occasion. There's quite a case to be made."

"Except he didn't kill him." Natalie rolled her eyes before turning back up to Mr. Porter, who was left in confusion.

"Perhaps we'll leave that up to Mr. Porter to decide." Nora said, both of them wished they could go back to being close but they just couldn't with the disagreements they had been having since Bryce had passed.

-

"So you never had any contact with Bryce after this? Over the summer, this fall? Even when seeing Natalie?" Lainey questioned to both of the boys.

"Never alone." Justin shook his head confidently despite lying straight to her face.

"No." Clay also shook his head. "No contact at all."

"So you never threatened him again?" Lainey raises an eyebrow. "Are there any other reasons why the police would suspect you?"

"It's Mrs. Walker. She's out to get me." Clay shrugged warning a bit of a glare from Justin. "You have to believe me. I didn't do anything."