chapter twenty nine

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE"the world was wide enough

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE
"the world was wide enough."

None of her friends knew about Bryce yet and the sheriff were at her house early the next morning. She noticed Clay's car as her and her mother got into the car to drive to the police station.

"What the hell is Clay Jensen doing in our driveway?" Her mother asked in an angry tone.

"He's friends with Ani, I don't know." Natalie shook her head quickly.

-

"Did they say what happened?" Zach asked as Justin grabbed his backpack before starting to run out of the gym quickly.

"Not yet. I just wanted to get to you guys before it hit the news." Clay explained. "Where are you going?" He turned to Justin.

"My girlfriends brother just died. Do you really think I'm just gonna stay here at school?" Justin rolled his eyes, pulling out his phone quickly.

Justin started crying as he hit outside and Clay quickly followed him. "Are you, Are you okay?"

"No. No I'm not man, I'm fucking sad." Justin turned around.

"You are?" Clay asked in a confused tone.

"I'm sad that my girlfriend is going to have to go through this in the public. I'm sad the guy I've known since I was eight and was the first person to give a shit about me and the first person to look after me is gone." Justin shook his head. "He was my fucking brother."

Clay was shocked on how anyone could be upset about this, he deserved it. He could slightly understand his family but Justin? "I feel like he didn't look out for you though."

"You have no idea what you're talking about! Okay, Clay? You don't know everything! You think you do but you don't. You knew what you knew. He was a fucking person, Clay. A human being. He was Natalie's blood. And now he's fucking dead. So don't talk that shit in front of Natalie because she won't be as nice as me." Justin rolled his eyes as he stormed off in anger.

-

Natalie and Nora sat in the in an interrogation room as the sheriff walked in. Her eyes were still puffy from crying but she tried to wipe them quickly. "Sheriff." Nora nodded. "I can't help but notice we are in an interrogation room."

"It's the only place we can talk in private. I want to continue to respect the family's privacy." The sheriff nodded.

"We are the family. Have you seen my father anywhere? Because I've been looking." Natalie shook her head.