23. Let's start with how you broke my trust.

Dedicated to @Chriss779 for the mannyy comments and support. Thank you!

What's your favorite chocolate? I LOVE Snickers and Ferrero Rocher

Chapter 23.

Let's start with how you broke my trust.

~~~

He threw the newspapers at my feet. "How the hell do you know my sister?"

And just like that everything I had thought of, every story, every reality, every truth disappeared. And my mind turned blank.

The axis of my world had tilted.

Fate, my dear, can be a tricky friend.

There were a thousand words I had thought of saying to Alex Bianchi when I would first see him. A hundred ways to frame the sentences and a tens of ways to explain everything. But now sitting in front of him, at the 23rd floor in his B building, holding a cup of hot coffee – all I could think of was – What the bloody hell?

I started at the milk coffee, hot vapors dancing over my face, both my palms now numb to the heat from the mug. I was breathing steadily yet I felt the blood in my brains was vanishing.

Instead of giving Alex answers to his questions, I now had a set of questions of my own to ask him.

Is the world truly such a small place? Or is fate just a game?

"Drink it."

I looked up, blinking at Alex, who was sitting opposite me on the table, drinking coffee. I quickly wiped away the water residual from my face and nodded, taking a sip of the coffee.

I winced, there was no sugar, it was bitter. I hated it.

"Sugar?"

I shook my head. "It's fine."

Alex didn't say anything, he patiently finished his coffee while I had two more sips and threw the remaining away.

Alex sat in the same seat at the table, his eyes digging a hole on my face. I nervously touched the strand of hair fallen on my face and tucked it behind the ear. I sat down my seat, looking at the wooden table and wondering how to start this conversation.

Alex didn't bother around. "How do you know Julia?"

I scratched my wrist anxiously, not sure on how to explain my relation with her. "Um well." I started, I took a deep breath and just decided to delve right into it. "I was her pen pal."

Alex looked shocked, he physically looked taken aback. He stared with disbelief. "Her what?"

I chuckled apprehensively. "Well um... 8 years back. When we were in school we used to talk over an app. That's how I know her."

Alex snorted, looking around, his face shining with incredulity. His eyes glistened with wonder that I could come up with such a story, such a lie. "Are you for real?"

I entwined my fingers, moving them uneasily. "It's the truth. How is she your sister? Aren't you a Bianchi?"

Alex raised his eyebrows in defiance. "So?"

I cleared my throat, blinking at him. "Well um so how is she your sister?" I repeated meekly.

Alex stood up, walking closer to me. I sucked in a breath, staring as he came nearer and sat in the empty chair right next to me. "Do you think you are in a position to ask questions?"

I swallowed, feeling a little scared. "I- I need answers too."

Alex snorted, shaking his head at me. That look of mortification at my doings made me want to crawl in a hole and die or just drown in a sea. I looked down at my entangled fingers.