Chapter 17

Chapter 17: Prison Break

As Loki stood with his hands behind his back, watching the guards bring in new prisoners, his mother stood behind him observing his arrogance

"The books I sent, do they not interest you?" Frigga said, slowly trying to get Loki to open up.

Loki turned to look back at her as he walked around his cell. "Is that how I am to while away eternity? Reading?" He spoke with a defiant mask that shielded others of the broken boy beneath it; but Frigga knew it was all an act. Somehow she and Adaline always knew.

"I've done everything in my power to make you comfortable, Loki."

"Have you?" Loki looked at her with a condescending grin on his face. "Does Odin share your concern? Does Thor? Oh. Or what about Adaline? It must be so inconvenient them asking after me day and night," Loki finished, beginning to tear up at that soft spot of his that went by the name of Adaline, but he quickly wiped it away before she could notice.

Frigga just calmly continued to reason with her son, ignoring his rudeness. "You know full well it was your actions that brought you here."

"My actions?" he inquired, cockily throwing up his hand in mock acceptance of her words before walking away. "I was merely giving truth to the lie that I had been fed my entire life... that I was born to be a king."

"A king?" Frigga asked rhetorically. "A true king admits his faults. What of the lives you took on Earth?"

"A mere handful compared to the number that Odin has taken himself."

Frigga sighed before trying to reason once again. "Your father..."

"HE'S NOT MY FATHER!" Loki roared, whipping around to face Frigga.

Frigga stood there taking in every painful little detail as she looked at the man her son had become. "Then am I not your mother?"

"You're not," he muttered, still looking into her eyes as he swallowed a lump in his throat.

Frigga continued to gaze sadly at her son, chuckling as tears pooled in her eyes before she took a step toward him and held out both of her hands. "You're always so perceptive about everyone but yourself."

He then shook his head in regret and began to place his hand into hers, only for it to faze through and end up at his side as her image slowly faded away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Adaline and Frigga's breakthrough in their magic lesson yesterday, she had decided to let the girl sleep. She had thought that last night she would have used her new abilities to visit Loki, but apparently that had not been the case.

As she walked up to meet Thor and who she presumed to be Jane Foster, she heard her son speak about Odin not knowing everything and decided to intervene. "Don't let him hear you say that," she spoke, drawing both of their attention to her.