Chapter 20

Chapter 20: The Dark World

In the ashes and dust of the Dark World, they sat with the ship on autopilot

Thor sat with Jane, checking to make sure she was alright, before looking to see Loki still by the steering wheel, with a guilty look on his face as he faced Adaline. Adaline still sat there with her eyes closed and completely tuned out to the outside world. She was desperately trying to save her strength for the battle they would surely face.

And even though she hadn't really walked or stood up on her own just yet, with both Thor and Fandral carrying her from place to place, it was a work in progress. She still felt hot, but she definitely was feeling better than before and believed she could only go up from here. So she continued to lie in wait until the battle.

"What happened?" Loki begged quietly, worry clouding his eyes as he refused to tear his eyes away from Adaline's figure.

"Eir called it a power-overload. She was trying to create an illusion of herself one night and accidentally used her abilities simultaneously," Thor explained, still holding Jane comfortably in his arms. "Mother said you would be able to help her."

Loki gazed over at Thor at the mention of Frigga, completely understanding the meaning of her words before making his way over to help comfort Adaline. "When?" He asked worriedly.

"When, what?"

"When did she fall ill?" Loki snarked, making a shade of blue wash over his hand as he held it up to Adaline's forehead to help her cool down.

Thor watched him curiously, not able to see what his brother was doing from his vantage point, but didn't bother to ask, instead just replying to his brother's question. "Just a few nights ago. Why do you ask?"

"No reason," Loki replied, before looking down and thinking about the night he had heard her voice. At the time, he had believed it was his imagination playing tricks on his depressed state, but it truly had been her. She had been checking up on him, and the price for it had been paid. Appearing to him almost cost Adaline her life, and it had been his fault she was in her current condition, exhausted and barely able to stand.

She sighed in relief as he placed his hand on her forehead in an attempt to rid her of her persistent fever. She then opened her eyes. Seeing him crouched before her, brought a tear to her eye. She was so happy he was okay and was finally beside her, without a barrier, chains, or an illusion.

Making eye contact with her, he gave a genuine smile at the sight of her awake. He slowly moved to sit beside her, and let her lean into him as he kept her cool.

The heat she gave off slightly pained him, but he was willing to bear it, if it meant it would heal her.

Adaline relaxed into his side and leaning her head onto his shoulder, being able to gain her strength quicker now that she wasn't burning up.