Chapter 24

Chapter 24: The Dark Side of Ambition

Once leaving the apartment and arriving in Greenwich, Adaline climbed out of the car, completely clad in her golden and crimson armor

Once leaving the apartment and arriving in Greenwich, Adaline climbed out of the car, completely clad in her golden and crimson armor. Thor watched worriedly as she walked away defiantly and determined to complete the mission. Thor could see the chaos swirling in her eyes and knew exactly what she was going to do. He had seen the same look before, except this time it adorned Adaline's face and not Loki's.

She was going to kill Malekith.

She was going to kill him without having a care in the world about what happened to herself in the process. She would lose herself, she wouldn't be the same girl from before once she murdered him.

But what Thor failed to notice was that Adaline had already changed. Loki's death made Adaline vengeful, it made her dark and malevolent. She was currently still grieving, but the time would come where she would be unrecognizable if it weren't for her looks.

Leaving the scientists to plant the gravimetric spikes around the site, Thor and Adaline stood in wait, ready for their signal.

Hearing the sound of peoples' screams, Thor took off from the ground with his arm held tightly around Adaline's waist.

Once landing, the two saw Malekith, standing outside his spacecraft that had been driven into the land from the river nearby. It seemed as if the Dark Elf wanted to make a scene. 

Malekith wanted to draw them in, he wanted a war.

"You needn't have come so far, Asgardian," Malekith spoke dryly, walking along the cobblestone sidewalk towards the two. "Or you, Muspelmegir."

The words made Thor stop for a second, thinking about the elf's words before looking at Adaline from the corner of his eye. He was curious as to what the elf had meant by his words, but decided to leave it alone for now as he took his stance, ready for battle.

Adaline swallowed the nervous lump that had grown in her throat but just continued to stare down Malekith. She still had yet to tell anyone about her heritage, and after Loki died, she honestly didn't ever want to. She didn't think it held enough importance anymore, not that him being alive made it so; she just felt that if she were to tell someone, she would have wanted it to be him first.

Malekith then continued to speak as his minions began to form themselves behind him. "Death would've come to you soon enough."

"Not by your hand," Thor shouted, walking forward with Adaline confidently at his side.

"Your universe was never meant to be. Your world and your family will be extinguished!" Malekith exclaimed, getting ever closer to the two as they continued to advance toward him simultaneously.

Malekith, using the Aether, shot out a wave of dark matter, causing Thor to immediately fall to the ground and Adaline to hold up her hands, creating a forcefield to block the impact of the blast.