Chapter 25

Chapter 25: "I Cannot be King"

Once leaving the wreckage of the battlefield, the six of them all stood in the parking lot, ready to leave, before Thor spoke

"I have to return to Asgard," he declared, gaining the attention of both Jane and Adaline as the others went to get into the car across the parking lot. Thor looked Jane directly in the eyes, grabbing hold of her hands tightly as he hoped she would keep his next words in her mind. "I committed treason against the throne. I must speak with my father."

"When will you return?" Jane inquired, taking slow steps closer to him as if she would never see him again.

"As soon as I can," he assured, now looking impossibly deeper into her caramel colored eyes and promising that he would not abandon her. He then moved his gaze over to the blonde who stood to the side, still covered in dirt and the ashes of her own flames. "Adaline?" he paused, making sure she wasn't succumbing to her own little world in the depths of her mind.

She hummed in response, biting at the inside of her cheek as she let him know that she was listening.

"Would you like to come with?" he inquired, not wanting to leave her on Earth if she actually wanted to return to Asgard instead.

Adaline tore her gaze from the floor before looking him straight in the eyes. "I'm gonna stay here for a few days, but I'll go back soon enough," she explained, giving him a tight-lipped grin. "But tell Fandral, Sif, and Volstagg I said hello."

"Of course," he nodded, before taking a few steps backwards and calling out for Heimdall to open the Bifrost.

In a quick brush of wind and colors, Thor was swept away, leaving Adaline and Jane to gaze upward as they stared at the sky.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two days had passed since their battle with Malekith. It had also been two days since they had last seen Thor. Adaline knew he would return eventually, but nothing she could say would calm Jane's nerves.

Jane constantly paced around the room, looking at the radar on her computers for any indication that he was close to returning.

Adaline sat on the couch, where she had slept for the past two nights with a soft, grey blanket wrapped around her legs that had been folded up to her chest. She had been wearing a t-shirt and shorts that Darcy had lent her, watching as Jane fret and scampered about the room.

"Jane, calm down," Adaline muttered, not removing her eyes off of her book. "He will return at some point, and besides, you are making my book itself, start to spin."