Chapter 18

Chapter 18: "Treason of the Highest Order"

The next day, Thor approached his father who was currently involved in a meeting with a few other palace guards and warriors to discuss what remained of Asgard's defense tactics after the Dark Elves attack

"My King, we are all but defenseless," Fandral warned, gloomily looking to Odin for understanding.

Odin pondered the fate of Asgard quietly, before being interrupted by Thor.

"She is your prisoner now?" Thor asked, glaring at Odin with utter hatred. "Leave us," he demanded to the others who stood watching the exchange. They all quickly left as Odin unwillingly discussed the subject with his son.

Odin walked down the stairs of the dilapidated throne room and away from Thor as he spoke. "I do not wish to fight with you."

"Nor I with you," Thor stated, following his father before continuing. "But, I intend to pursue Malekith."

"We have the Aether. Malekith will come to us," Odin responded glibly.

"Yes, and he will destroy us," Thor replied, getting irritated at his father's arrogance.

Odin continued to ignore Thor's pleas, as he insisted the Elves were not a major threat, so long as they didn't possess the Aether.

Thor simply stated that he valued the meaning of Asgardian lives and does not want to risk anymore of his people dying. "I'll take Jane to the Dark World, and draw the enemy away from Asgard. When Malekith pulls the Aether from Jane, it will be exposed and vulnerable, and I will destroy it and him," Thor assured, having well thought through his plan.

"If you fail, you risk this weapon falling into the hands of our enemies," he reprimanded, banging his staff against the ground in an authoritative manner.

"The risk is far greater if we do nothing," he explained, trying to appeal to his father. "His ship could be over our heads right now, and we would never even know it."

Odin simply denied Thor's idea and stated that, "if and when he comes, his men will fall on 10,000 Asgardian blades."

"And how many of our men shall fall on theirs?" Thor reprimanded, watching as his father grew irritable.

"AS MANY AS ARE NEEDED!" Odin roared, silencing Thor in his attempts. "Ah. We will fight! Till the last Asgardian breath. Till the last drop of Asgardian blood."

Thor then looked up at his father from where he stood with a defeated look spread across his face. "Then how are you different from Malekith?"

Odin chuckled arrogantly at his son. "The difference, my son, is that I will win."

Odin then walked away, leaving Thor overpowered and defeated, but ready to plan out his next move.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------