2

MADNESS
— 2. Affairs

   Near their home, Freya was yelling out as she chased her mother's youngest children, Erik and Thyra, who were five and three, with a stick

   Near their home, Freya was yelling out as she chased her mother's youngest children, Erik and Thyra, who were five and three, with a stick. They were giggling happily, trying to outrun their older sister. They ran into their home and stood near their older brother Halig, who was ten.

They turned, watching as Freya purposely made the stick collide with the doorway, making her unable to enter. They continued to laugh and Freya placed the stick down on the ground. She pressed a hand on her gut, making her way toward them.

"And what is it you're laughing at?" She asked them teasingly as she lunged toward them.

Thyra and Erik laughed, hiding behind their older brother Halig. She continued to chase them around the home, not caring for the numerous objects being knocked down in the process.

Just then, she watched as Halig, Thyra, and Erik stopped playing and their smiles faded, causing Freya to roll her eyes at the sight of Gyda standing before them.

After Freya, Gyda was the oldest and didn't get along with Freya in the slightest. In fact, Gyda was terrified of Freya, but she wouldn't let anyone know that.

"You shouldn't be getting them riled up," Gyda complained in a stern tone, "They were supposed to be in bed already and it's not like you'll be here to deal with it, I will."

Freya smiled, shrugging her shoulders without a care in the world. "Not my problem," She replied and with that, she playfully ruffled the children's hair before walking toward the door to leave.

She heard Gyda groaned loudly in frustration, causing Freya to smirk in satisfaction. She began to walk in the direction that led to Kattegat's Great Hall when she heard Halig call out to her.

"Freya! How about you teach me how to fight?" Halig asked her enthusiastically, causing Freya to laugh in amusement.

"Your mother is Ylva the Dread and your father is Bjorn Ironside, two of the greatest warriors who ever walked this land. I don't think you need me to teach you how to fight," She complained, smiling as she rolled her eyes and walked away without another word said.

______

The following evening, instead of returning to her own home for dinner, Freya ended up being invited by Aslaug to have dinner with her and her sons and to also spend the night. It was a normal occurrence, her staying the night with them instead of returning home.

She couldn't remember the last time she was actually in Ashton, her birthplace. While Ylva constantly traveled back and forth due to being Queen of Ashton, Freya always remained in Kattegat with the sons of Ragnar. Ylva's other children also switched off on where they stayed.