8

MADNESS
— 8. Vengeance

Celebrations occurred in the Great Hall of Kattegat and Freya walked through, smiling at the sight of everyone

Celebrations occurred in the Great Hall of Kattegat and Freya walked through, smiling at the sight of everyone. She saw Sigurd playing the lute from afar and smiled, shaking her head at the sight.

She spotted Ubbe from afar, speaking to two unknown men and decided to make herself known. "Ubbe," She greeted the young man as she placed a hand on his shoulder, "I see you are making yourself familiar with our new allies."

"And who might you be?" The man asked Freya, smiling at the sight of her.

"Princess Freya Ylvasdottir," She introduced herself and it seemed as though both of the men's eyes lit up at the revelation.

"Your mother is Queen Ylva the Dread," He realized and Freya smiled as she nodded her head in confirmation, "We've heard many tales of our mother. The poets always sing tales of her victories and triumphs. It is an honor to meet you."

"I hope in due time, I will be able to say the same of you," Freya smiled as she lifted her cup up slightly.

Just then, one of the men turned, beginning to laugh at something. "Who's the cripple?" He asked, continuing to laugh hysterically.

Ubbe and Freya turned, realizing they were speaking about Ivar. "His name of Ivar and he's my brother," Ubbe informed the men, whose smiles immediately faded.

"Yes, and if I were you, I'd stop laughing and watch what you say next or you might just find yourself with a blade in your chest. It'd be smart of you to respect and fear him. He is capable of far more than you could ever imagine," Freya explained to the men in a venomous tone. She snatched the cup from the man's hand and walked over to Ivar.

Ubbe smiled at the sight, watching as Freya crouched down in front of Ivar before handing him the drink.

Ivar smiled at her, the two of them clinking her cups together before they both turned to look at Lagertha, who was sitting on her throne. "Are you ready?"

"More than ready," Ivar replied without hesitation as they both began to smile.

____

Later that night, Gyda, as she stood near her grandmother and Torvi, frowned as she watched the doors to the Great Hall being closed and locked.

"Something is happening," She whispered to Torvi and Astrid, an alarmed look on her face.

"What?" Astrid and Torvi asked, only to watch as the rest of the doors were being closed.

Sigurd stood from afar, playing the lute. Before he could react, a man grabbed ahold of him and placed an ax to his throat. The same ended up occurring with Gyda, Torvi, Astrid, and even Rorik and Halig, who had also been there.