26

MADNESS
— 26. Cruelty

  In their chambers, Ivar and Freya were both drunk

  In their chambers, Ivar and Freya were both drunk. Ivar was sitting on the edge of the bed while Freya knelt behind him, helping him braid his hair.

"Ouch!" Ivar yelped in pain and Freya playfully rolled her eyes as she lightly slapped his head.

They both laughed, only to be cut off when Hvitserk entered, looking unhappy. "What happened to him?" He suddenly asked, much to Freya's confusion.

"What?" Ivar replied, smiling as he watched his older brother walk over to him and Freya.

"What happened to the Seer?" He asked and by the way Ivar's smile faded at the question, Freya knew she was missing something.

"The Seer?" Ivar replied, purposely acting as though he didn't know what Hvitserk was talking about, "They told me he had gone."

"There was fresh blood on the ground," Hvitserk informed them, causing Freya's eyes to widen in shock.

"What?" She gasped, shocked by the revelation.

"Well, he must have made a sacrifice. What do I know?" Ivar replied, but Freya could tell he was lying.

"You're drunk," Hvitserk complained, glaring at Ivar, who chuckled in response, "If he's gone, we need to find him. And if somebody has tried to kill him, we need to know who, and why. Otherwise, the gods are not—"

"You cannot speak on behalf of the gods, Hvitserk," Ivar complained in an aggravated tone, "Only I can."

Hvitserk turned, exchanging an annoyed look with Freya.

Ivar stood up, using his crutch to move past them while Freya remained seated. "And I will," He continued to tell Hvitserk, "When I choose. Understand?"

Hvitserk scoffed, turning to face Ivar. He leaned closer to him. "I know," He whispered in a soft tone, "I know."

With that, Hvitserk walked away and Freya's smile faded, realizing what he meant. She walked over to Ivar, who looked absolutely terrified.

"Tell me the truth of it," Freya spoke up and Ivar sighed, trying to hide his uneasiness, "Was it you?"

"Was what me?" Ivar asked her in confusion.

"The Seer, did you kill him?" Freya responded, eying him suspiciously as she walked toward him.

Ivar sighed deeply and turned to face her. He remained silent, giving her a knowing look.

Freya's face fell at the revelation and she began to glare at Ivar. "Now, why would you go and do that?" She complained in a low growl.

"Only I can speak for the gods!" He snapped at her in a low tone, "No one else."