13

MADNESS
— 13. Confessions

 Ubbe and Hvitserk had become confused when they went to see Ivar and Freya, only to find that they had bodyguards guarding them

Once they did end up going through, they made their way over to where Ivar and Freya were getting tattoos. Ivar was groaning as he was getting a tattoo on his back while Freya was getting one as well. The back of her shirt was ripped open and the front of it just barely covered her breasts.

"Ubbe! Hvitserk!" Ivar shouted out, causing Freya to turn her head to see the older sons of Ragnar making their way over to them, "Did you take a look around? The work on strengthening the defenses is going well."

"Why do you and Freya need a personal bodyguard, Ivar?" Ubbe complained to his younger brother as he facepalmed himself.

"What?" Freya asked, looking up at the boys with a puzzled look on her face.

"We were just stopped by your bodyguards," Ubbe informed the duo in an annoyed tone, "Hmm? Do you need protection against us? Against your brothers?"

"Of course not," Ivar replied, letting out a large scoff.

"Then why have them?" Hvitserk asked, crossing his arms across his chest.

"I'm a cripple," Ivar answered as if it were obvious, "I need a bodyguard. So does Freya. She is a very important person, after all. Either people fear her or hate her. She needs to be protected."

"It's not just the bodyguard, Ivar," Ubbe argued as he moved closer to his brother, "The fact is, you never seem to consult us about anything. Only Freya. It's as if you think you are now the leader of our Great Army."

Ivar stared up at his brother, lifting his hand to tell the man behind him to stop tattooing him. He remained silent, glancing between him and Ubbe.

"Do you think you are the leader?" Ubbe asked Ivar in a low tone.

"No, I don't," Ivar answered with an attitude, "Why would I ever think such a thing?"

"I'm glad to hear you say that because you are not the leader," Ubbe replied sternly as he smiled slightly, "We three brothers are the leaders together, Freya along with us. As our father would have wished."

"We are older than you, Ivar," Hvitserk complained and shook his head in disapproval, "You can't push us aside. It's unacceptable."

"No, you're right, Hvitserk," Ivar replied as he nodded his head, "But you two have to understand it is harder for me to share and to stake my claim. I truly want to be your equal but in order for me to do so, I have to do better than you. I have to make you forget that I'm a cripple."

"Listen, Ivar, we know what you are," Ubbe spoke up as he gave him a genuine look, "And we accept what you are. It makes no difference to us. You are just our brother."