3

MADNESS
— 3. Celebrations

  Leaving the cabin, Freya groaned as she rubbed her aching neck

Leaving the cabin, Freya groaned as she rubbed her aching neck. She had to admit, it hurt. Ivar could have killed her, after all, but she wasn't all that surprised.

She was walking through Kattegat, on the verge of heading home when she spotted Hvitserk from afar. He locked eyes on her as well and began to make his way over to her.

"How was it?" He asked her, a playful smile on his face.

Freya smiled, playfully rolling her eyes at him. She began to walk away, Hvitserk following after her. "Fine," She replied simply and Hvitserk chuckled.

She stopped, turning to face him as he leaned closer to her. "Better than me?" He asked teasingly as he leaned forward.

Freya laughed and playfully shoved him back. "You wish," She retorted and Hvitserk smiled as they continued to walk together.

"Is that so?" He asked her and Freya hummed in agreement. There was a moment of silence between them and Hvitserk sighed, his smiling fading. "Why aren't you sailing the Mediterranean with your mother and Bjorn?"

Freya was silent for a moment, shrugging her shoulders. "It's not my destiny, it's theirs," She admitted, smiling as she turned to Hvitserk, "What, are you going to miss me while you're off raiding with them while I am here in Kattegat?"

"What do you think?" Hvitserk replied, both of them beginning to smile.

They stopped walking when they reached Freya's home, causing her to sigh and turn to Hvitserk. "I'll see you tomorrow?" She asked him curiously and Hvitserk nodded. She watched as he moved closer to her until he was standing directly in front of her. He placed a hand on the side of her face and Freya did nothing as he leaned forward, kissing her on the lips.

Slowly, he pulled away and Freya stared up at him in silence. "Good night, Freya," He told her softly before walking away.

She watched him walk away for a moment, a small smile appearing on her face. She brushed her fingers over her lips, just before making her way inside the home she shared with Bjorn, her mother, and her siblings.

Instead of going to the room she shared with Gyda, Freya made her way to the room Halig shared with Rorik and Erik. She walked over to the young boy's bed, shaking him awake.

The boys groaned, rubbing his eyes before looking up at Freya. "Freya, what are you doing here?" He asked his older sister in confusion.

"I have something for you," She informed him with a smile on her face.

"What is it?" He asked her curiously as he pushed himself up into a seated position.