29

MADNESS
— 29. Farewell

 In the dead of night, Hvitserk and Freya were lying fast asleep in bed

In the dead of night, Hvitserk and Freya were lying fast asleep in bed. They were both unclothed, their naked bodies being covered by only the fur blanket.

Freya was lying on her side with Hvitserk's arms wrapped around her. She stirred in her sleep and Hvitserk grabbed her hand, holding it with his own.

They both smiled and Freya pressed a kiss to his hand before closing her eyes once more.

Just then, hearing a floorboard creak, Hvitserk's eyes shot open. He immediately grabbed the knife from underneath his pillow and pointed it at the person, only to have his eyes widen in alarm when he saw it was Ivar.

Freya sat up as well, quick to cover her naked body with the blanket as she tried to hide her uneasiness.

Hvitserk sighed deeply in defeat and laid back down, preparing himself for whatever punishment Ivar was about to give them.

"Sorry to startle you," Ivar told his brother with a taunting smile on his face, "But you are in bed with my wife."

"Here we go," Hvitserk muttered under his breath as Ivar sat down on the edge of the bed.

"That isn't why I'm here, though," Ivar replied in a calm tone, which caused Freya to feel confused.

"Then why are you here, brother?" Hvitserk questioned as he sat up slightly.

"I've been thinking about you, my dear brother," Ivar confessed with a smile on his face.

"What have you been thinking?" Hvitserk asked, exchanging a brief look with Freya before he looked back at Ivar.

"I have been thinking...That you can make yourself more useful to me. It concerns me that you have no proper role here. That you live such an empty and idle life. And that is why you've taken it upon yourself to bed a woman who isn't yours. A woman who is my wife and queen," He explained, smiling at Hvitserk threateningly, "But I know it won't happen again, will it?"

He glanced between them, watching as the duo uneasily shook their heads. "I forgive you for it, Hvitserk. After all, you're my brother and I love you."

"How could I make myself useful?" Hvitserk asked, staring up at his brother.

"You could leave Kattegat," Ivar informed Hvitserk, causing Freya's eyes to widen in alarm.

Hvitserk remained silent for a long moment as he stared at Ivar, realizing he was purposely trying to get rid of him to keep him away from Freya.

"Go on a diplomatic trip to the Great Hall of King Olaf the Stout, and cement our alliance, help him prepare for our springtime attacks on York and Wessex," Ivar explained to Hvitserk calmly.