15

MADNESS
— 15. Conflicted

    Days had passed and it was morning time

Days had passed and it was morning time. Freya sat with Ivar at a table, eating, while Hvitserk sat another near them. She watched Hvitserk closely, noticing how anxious he seemed.

"So, the hunting party did not return today," Hvitserk stated, but Ivar didn't seem to respond, "I said, the hunting—"

"We heard what you said the first time around, Hvitserk," Freya replied in a calm tone, earning a weird look from Hvitserk.

"We are almost out of food," Hvitserk reminded the duo as he glanced between them, "And there is sickness in the town. What are we going to do? We have to do something. The Saxons are in their own country. They can be reinforced and grow stronger, while every day we just grow weaker—"

"What are you really saying, huh, brother?" Ivar snapped at Hvitserk in an aggravated tone, "That I was wrong not to negotiate with the Saxons, and that Ubbe was right?"

"No," Hvitserk replied uneasily as he avoided eye contact with Ivar.

"No? Are you sure?" Ivar asked and Hvitserk sighed in frustration.

"Ubbe was wrong. That's why I didn't sail with him," Hvitserk argued in a defensive tone.

"But now you regret it?" Ivar questioned, giving his brother a curious look.

"I just told you no," Hvitserk argued sternly as he awkwardly glanced over at Freya before back at Ivar. He sighed in frustration and shook his head, "Ubbe treated me like his little faithful dog. I am no one's dog, Ivar."

Ivar shook his head tilted, tilting it as he stared at Hvitserk. He picked up his cup and turned to Hvitserk with a teasing look on his face. "Woof, woof," He jokingly commented, earning a glare from Hvitserk while others chuckled.

Ivar tried his hardest to keep a straight face but began to laugh at his brother as well. The men began to laugh even more and unable to take it anymore, Hvitserk shot up from his seat and stormed out of the room.

"That was cruel, Ivar, even for you," Freya snapped at Ivar coldly as she stood up from her seat beside him.

"Come on, it was funny," Ivar complained, continuing to smile. However, it ended up fading as he watched Freya leave in the same direction that Hvitserk had gone in.

She soon found herself on the walls of York, his back facing her. She closed her eyes and sighed. "Why did you choose to stay?" She suddenly asked him, causing Hvitserk to look defeated as he turned to face her.

"I don't know anymore. Clearly, you are devoted to Ivar now and now..." He trailed off, sighing as he looked down at the ground in disappointment, "Now, I am alone here."

"Hvitserk—" She began to say as Hvitserk moved closer to her.

"You don't even come near me anymore, not after what happened when I decided to remain here. Why is that?" Hvitserk asked her in concern.